kawartha lakes musky lures

tomkat

bumble bee suicks

Black and Orange spinner baits IE: grim reapers work well for me

in line spinners: Again the black and orange work well. Also I find that the purple blue black combos with gold colored or silver colored blades work well too.

Now that the water is getting colder and the sunlight is diminishing, a slower retrieval will provide you with better hookups, same goes for trolling, troll slower, 3MPH instead of 5 MPH.

Good luck with the hunt and I am off to Pigeon with my boy tomorrow to try and get him into a couple of muskies.

Pete

Edited by Squid

Also I find that the purple blue black combos with gold colored or silver colored blades work well too.

Purple with gold blades in the fall ?? .........surley you jest !! :w00t:

You'll NEVER catch a fall musky with that set-up Pete, the blades are too small ;)

I don't know why rapala doesn't offer the jointed model j13 in a more musky size. The black and gold one works great for me but it would be nice to try a larger size of it. The amount of fruitless hours I have had with super shad raps and x-raps is depressing since they look so great in the water.

Dark/black lure for low-light & overcast times.

Bright/flashy lures for sunny days.

BlueFox MuskyBuck is good.

The Musky there are eating Perch, Walleye, panfish,Mudcats,etc.

You should have an extra rod rigged with a Bulldawg or Jig&creature ready to throw at a follower.

Big Storm spinnerbaits with minnow-bodies works too!

Edited by danbo

I would go with the perch SuperShad Rap as well. Been my best lure by far for Kawarthas musky.

IMG_0008-17.jpg

Jointed Depthraider (or shallowraider) in perch or some kinda green-yellow colour, is a little larger

than a J-13 and has caught me some muskies as well. Depth finder is real key up there.

Good luck,

ehg

I agree that the perch pattern shallow raider and depth raiders work well. I have caught a bunch on a silver bladed black bucktail as well. I have also caught one on a black magnum bulldawg in black and orange. When the weather gets really cold we troll the deep edges of weedlines, when it warm up we cast bucks into the weed beds.

With all that said I only got in one day of muskie fishing last year and it has been two years since my last muskie.

With the cooler water temps this time of year, I like to go with larger, slower moving wooden baits for casting and have always found Suicks to be one of the best baits around for that application.

I use the 10" weighted Suicks and actually add more of my own weights to the body to make them practically neutrally buoyant. I'll cast out and as I'm working the bait slowly back to the boat, I like pause it every 10' or so and just let it hang for a few seconds before I move it again.

It's an action the muskies can seldom resisit. ;)