Big Cliff 2 for 2

Big Cliff

Well, as some of you know I started bow hunting last year and to be honest I was a little apprehensive about shooting deer with a crossbow. I have heard a lot of stories about game being wounded and not being found and that really bothers me! I don't like to hurt anything and have it suffer. I have also heard just as many stories about game being wounded with a gun and not being found so I decided to see for myself. I have been hunting most of my life and never lost a deer that I shot with a gun, I'd give the crossbow a chance. I was very careful in my selection and with Sam's help decided on a Middelton crossbow, it was the fastest, hardest hitting crossbow I could find and Sam very kindley helped me get outfitted and took the time to make sure I understood how to use it properly.

Last fall I was rewarded with a very nice spike buck for my efforts. This year I haven't had much chance to get out but yesterday evening I decided to try one of my old stands not far from here and about 6:20 pm I had five nice does standing right in front of me. I picked one that was broadside to me at about 40 yards and I got her; nice clean shot and she was down in seconds. So far I've only shot at two deer with my crossbow and both were harvested very quickly, I think I'm hooked, this beats gun hunting any day.

Congratulations to you Cliff! Very nice to hear that Sam was able to give you some expert help.....you certainly went to someone who knows his stuff.

Did Sue help you carry it out? :)

Glad you're happy with the bow.

Great report Big Cliff :thumbsup_anim: and congratulation :clapping:

Me too don't like to see the animals I hunt suffer..... Good job for that :thumbsup_anim:

I always aim for the dead zone :)

Thanks for sharing

Leechman

p.s. Now you got me all pumped up for my upcoming deer hunt.... leaving Oct 31 for a week

Congrats Big Cliff!!

You do any duck hunting? Your more than welcome to join me anytime......you must see me coming and going from next door!! There are lots of new birds around right now. We shot a limit in 40 mins this morning :)

Sinker

Sinker, I'd love to get out with you any time, fishing or hunting and yes, I do hunt ducks and geese (almost anything I can eat). I am busy weekday mornings and Saturday morning but free most evenings and Sunday mornings. Just let me know when!

TUF, mostly because of my age, I tried a compound bow but wasn't comfortable with it. I decided on a cross bow after I was loned one to try. I have gun hunted most of my life and this was just a natural change over for me. I did a lot of research with Sam's help, make sure you talk to as many people as you can that will not just sell you something but take the time to help you select what is best for you.

I actually enjoy this much more than gun hunting for deer, this is much more of a challange in that you have to get up close and personal with the bow. Last night I had 4 or more deer walk right under my tree stand, I could have easily gotten one with the shotgun but had to wait until I had a good clear shot. What ever you get, make sure it has the power to do the job. The doe I got last night I knicked ribs on the way in, took out both the lungs, clipped the heart, knicked a rib on the way out and broke her front leg. She dropped on the spot, got up, ran a few yards and was dead in seconds.

HearingFish, My buddy is suppose to email them to me, I'll post as soon as he does.

Beans, I told Tony and Meeley where to go, I got this one less than 100 yards from where I showed them. There are lots more in the area. Are you guys listening? LOL.

Leechman: Good luck on your hunt!

WTG Big Cliff,Sam showed me that bow last fall and I was impressed.I thinks I'll try for a new one myself next year,but this year I'm leaving it up to 'ole reliable',a bow that is past is prime but will do the job.Again congrats on the harvest.....Tight lines and staight shots.......Chuck....

WTG Cliff !!!

I was certified last December for my gun and hunting licenses.

I was certified in March for my Turkey.

I didnt think I had it in me to bring down an animal as big as a deer.

Well....2 weeks ago (on my 3rd trip to the stand), we were hunting up past Bolton. I was fortunate enough to have 2 does come out in front of me and my new Excalibur Equinox. I put her in the cross hairs and whammo....she didnt go 30 yards either !!

I was shaking and I dont know how I didnt fall out of the tree stand !!

Talk about an ADRENALIN rush !!

and dont you worry.......We'll be up yer ways to give it a shot (pardon the pun) the weekend after this !! We'll drop in and say hello....if yer door is open.

Thanks again and CONGRATS !!

Meely