Motor Problems

tizfun

Well, I got this little motor from my father-law before he passed and I've tried to get her going and nothing.. It ran when I got it but it's been sitting for about 2 years now.. I've changed the plug, and added new gas and where do I go from here ??? I'm no mechanic, so every little bit of help is much appreciated.. She sputtered and that's it....

If I don't get her going soon, I may offer her to some mechanically inclined person to get her going..

Tiz

She is a older one.....

008.jpg

009.jpg

007-1.jpg

I'd be happy to look at it over the winter for you if you would like, I am too busy doing golf carts, chainsaws, and snow blowers right now to do it for you. I am a small engine mechanic but I don't usually work on marine engines. Probably nothing more than a gummed up carb or a stuck piston ring, most likely a gummed up carb or it wouldn't even sputter. Both easy fixes anyway. OFNr's don't pay for labour, just cover my materials.

Let me know.

If you can post the model # (not serial #) I can look up the year and hp. This should be on the plate in your 3rd photo. My repair manual does not list any 2 hp Evinrude motors back in those years.

Best Wishes: Rick

Edited by Woodsman

313 Snug Harbour Rd. Lindsay Tel. 705-328-0750

I work Mondat to Friday in a shop here in town and Saturdays here at my own shop but anytime you are coming this way would be good for me. As I said, it will have to be a "spare time" project for me but it will be done in time for spring!

Not a bad little engine. They can be finicky though. Small jets in the carb lead to plugging up easily. Some were hard to start until you get to know how much choke and throttle to give them. Small and lightweight for portaging and easy on fuel were there attributes.

That's a very simple single cylinder engine. Most of them receive too little use to ever get worn out. I agree with Cliff that you probably have a gummed carb. The coils on those old OMC's are also notoriously bad, though. In the future, always mix in some fuel stabiliser with your gas and drain the carb or run it dry (some may argue not to run it dry) before prolonged storage.

Cliff, if the coil is cracked, discoloured or sweaty looking it is bad even if it sparks or runs.