Thinking out loud

misfish

I been thinking about this for some time now. With these big names coming north of the border,would they partner up to make a speedway to bring the big boys up? I know thier in kbeq,but it,s a road course and I would really like to see an oval track.

Just a thread for some convo.

You can add Target to the list of names aswell.

Im not bored,just looking for some good/fun read.LOL

Edited by misfish

Probably would have already if they thought they could get the fan base. Those races in the states are HUGE in popularity (ive been to one) and I just dont think Canada has the same number of people that would get out to a race. Its kinda like college sports, they fill a huge stadium in the states are we have 50 fans.

I used to go to the races in Flamborough and a few times near Barrie that's a long time ago but sure was fun! Bringing up the big shots however would cost serious D'OH

The drive from either Mich or NY, would be nothing to those guys.

Maybe getting thier moonshine across the boarder would be more of an issue.LOL

I am a firm believer,if they build it,they will come. You just have to have the names to go with it.

I for one will not head to Montreal to watch the road race. I want to see the big show. I can respect thier effort,but the big names are what make the show. Just watch the races. 1/3 the crowd for the rookies with th odd showing of the the big names, and a full sold out race come sunday or what ever day/night the big names race.

Probably would have already if they thought they could get the fan base. Those races in the states are HUGE in popularity (ive been to one) and I just dont think Canada has the same number of people that would get out to a race. Its kinda like college sports, they fill a huge stadium in the states are we have 50 fans.

Build the track close enuf to the border/Toronto/Montreal and they'll come. Kaybeckers used to be speed freaks, and probably still are, and I know that Nascar has a huge following here in SWO.

I don't understand the economics of running these race venues though, how one or two main event races can give a decent return on investment.

Didn't Nascar take over the old Cascar series? Canucks are supporting that to a degree. And we've had decent support for various roadracing events but used too many urban street one shot tracks which were fiscally inefficient leading to the demise of CART racing in Canada. That may have had as much to do with mismanagement as the venue though.

I remember being very impressed at the turnout that the Nascar stockers got when they came to Mosport for the first time years ago. They weren't really prepped for a road course but it was funto watch. We were running sports cars and formula cars in those days and spent a lot of time at Mosport, but never with the kind of crowds Mario et al could bring out. Of course none of our cars could get air on the back straight either. Perhaps the Grand Prix was the exception attendance-wise. There were a lot of folks there for that but I'm not sure the numbers matched a typical Nascar race day, even the one in Irish Hills we used to attend.

Given the huge popularity of Nascar these days I suspect Canada could support a track/event depending on the proximity to the border. It may work in the west as well. They've always been great supporters of speed events, again as long as the venue was close to the border.

JF

FD thats a awesome report. Nascar Im sure, is behind it somewhere, as it does take big dollars to build. Im thinking it will not belong,before they do come here,hell,everyother American company/event is.LOL

Toung and cheek on that statement.

I don't think that the sponsors have much say in where they race Brian. It's the France family and the France family only that calls the shots. After all, they own NASCAR. They'll go where the money is. Take Kansas for instance. It's a newer track that sells out every race so they're going to add a second race there by 2010, which means that a track will lose a race.

Dan

Im sure Canada has just as many redneck racing fans as Kansas.LOL

I would like to see or find ,a site that shows how many Canadians watch the weekend races. Im sure thiers interest,or they/the French family, would not have allowed a race like they have,come to Canada.

Yes John,nascar has take over the Cascar event here.Another reason for them to go full out.

Edited by misfish

I think Dan nailed it .

Although we think we have a big fan base shear population work against us. More folks in California than all of Canada.

Same reason we don't have a NFL franchise ...yet.

TB

And the California race hasn't sold out in several years.

Actually, there's a great article about NASCAR ticket sales and seating capacities HERE

Personally I think that an 80,000 seat track in the golden horseshoe would sell out in an instant. I'd probably be there.

I think Dan nailed it .

Although we think we have a big fan base shear population work against us. More folks in California than all of Canada.

Same reason we don't have a NFL franchise ...yet.

TB

Lets add Starbucks to the list now.LOL

Were getting a team soon,Bufallo just dont know it yet,LOL

I just saw on the news that Fort Erie is building a NASCAR track... they are even expropriating land to make it happen... NASCAR has no comment of course.. CHCH 11

Brian. you may just get your wish!

I should add... investors from Dubai are helping make this happen... to the tune of a cool 200 Million

Edited by Gerritt

somehow can't see Starbucks as a sponsor :whistling:

Although a driver hopped up on coffee might be interesting

TB

I for one can say it would work,as I have been on Grandie Bold and expresso for the last 3 weeks. When do I get to sleep? LOL

Great coffee. :clapping::thumbsup_anim::sleeping_02:

Sounds like great news.....and I think you would find the fan base here. A division of a company my wife worked for sponsored (and still does the odd race) the #60 of Carl Edwards in the Busch/Nationwide series. Some of the statistics were staggering....including this: One in every Five people in Canada watch NASCAR. The seats my not be filled with Canadians but I am sure the ones that are left over would be filled by our neighbours to the south.

Amazing how many vehicles you see driving around with NASCAR stickers on them (my truck included LOL). Heres hoping it happens!!!

Im surpised ISC hasnt had any ideas yet, at least that they have made public.....I bet Humpy could make a go of it

Bill