NF.... 407 drivers...

jedimaster

Does anyone drive the 407 in the morning and evening rush? I am looking at a different job, but I would essentially need to drive the 407 from The start at Brock road to 427 in the morning and back on 427 and off at Brock in the evening...anyone have any ideas what the traffic is like and how long it would take to make that drive?

Does anyone drive the 407 in the morning and evening rush? I am looking at a different job, but I would essentially need to drive the 407 from The start at Brock road to 427 in the morning and back on 427 and off at Brock in the evening...anyone have any ideas what the traffic is like and how long it would take to make that drive?

I think it depends on the time of day.

JF

I drive it daily... from the beginning (403) to the Jane St exit (right after the 400) I have to be @ work for 7:30am and I am done @ 3:30pm. Average travel time for 70km.. 45 minutes give or take. If I got off @ the 427 shave off about 10-15 minutes

Hope this helps!

G

I drive the 407 in the rush hour from brock some days to and past the 427,traffic on the 407 is not a problem getting to it and off it is the problem.The roads at either end are the problem as there is PLENTY of traffic already on those roads.I use a couple of short cuts on either end to speed up my travels and leave a few minutes early in the morning to avoid hassles.

vance

I usually take it for about 10 km from Donald Cousens Parkway to Warden. I get on a during peak time - between 8 and 8:30 - and it's pretty congested. It's not quite stop and go, but there are some very slow spots until it opens up to 3 lanes at Markham Road (Hwy 48). Once i'm past that it's quick. One the way home it starts to get congested around McCowan as it goes to 2 lanes. The good news is they're adding or widening the lanes there east of 48 too.

I haven't gone past Woodbine so I can't say how bad it is further west.

I couldn't stand that traffic any more so I got the heck outta dodge!!!!!! :lol:

I now have a 10 minute commute during rush hour...............er minute!! :P

I even head home for lunch something I haven't done since the early 80's.

Life is good again.

Since I moved here I no longer have stress..........I think I even have a new hair or two growing in!!!!!! :D

I take the 407 99% of the time, regardless of the time of day, its always faster than 401.

Even off peak times...less cars on the 407 = less idiot drivers = 407 as the 24 hour a day preference for me.

Rush hours can be stop and go on the 407 but it still would be moving faster than the 401 parking lot.

I don't know if my perma grin can be seen from this post since Canada got a nice blue line on the 14th. I think traffic will be improved, as well as everything else, under PC management.

Has anyone thought of the costs.. I used to take the 407 from Brock Rd to Airport Rd everyday (155 kms round trip) and it cost me around $20.00 round trip.. Multiply this by 5 days or 6 days if I had to go in on the weekend and that's 120.00/week plus driving my Chevy Trailblazer filling that up $75.00 every 3 days..

In all I was spending about 1300.00/month on the 407/gas just to get to work.. For a short time I was running 2500 kms month on the 407..

They even sent me a gas card from Petro to save 2 cents a litre on 100 litres of fuel....

Never again !!!!!

Tiz

I feel for you guys. I used to drive DVP, 401, 400 to Finch on my way to work. No 407 then and old hwy 7 was slow. I don't suppose there was as much traffic on the 401 in those days but sometimes DVP was a parking lot. Now I see rush minute occasionally and having to wait for 6 cars to go by before I get through an intersection is our version of a traffic jam. Been 35 years since I escaped the rat race and I love it. I can fish and hunt 10 minutes from my door. Am I trying to make you jealous?

Fuel costs me about $50-60 per week. Not to bad considering it's over 1000km's per week just for work and back.

Must be driving a wee 3 banger or such. 2 full tanks a week in the van per week to do that commute today would be $200 + $60 for parking, let alone tolls.

My mechanic got to see me every month for the oil change and check-up. I think I paid for his new boat :rolleyes::blush:

I drive about 120km's round trip per day, but a new job would net me around 210km's round trip per day, but the increase in salary would be well worth it. What time does the 407 start to jam up in the morning at Brock road? Ideally I woul dlike to negotiate and early start and leave time if it gets to that point, but that time would be dependant on the traffic flow. If I was entering the 407 at say 7:20am at brock would that get me past the traffic to the 427?

I can't help you about that time. If I'm on the road that early I take the other ways in as they're pretty good. I guess it'd be fine though. Even when I get on when it's congested it's a huge time saver for me and I'm not going far.

I moved from driving, to taking the subway, to walking. I now have a 10 minute walk to work which is great. Even when driving, I was against traffic and it was still brutal. IMO its not worth the added stress to commute on that hellhole. This factor is huge for any future job opportunities for me, as important as money! I find I end up wanting to smash things when I'm stuck in traffic, couldn't imagine doing that daily.