Synthetic Oils in Honda outboard??

Fishn Technishn

Hi Wild,

I have been running Synthetics in my BF150 since the 200hr mark. I just dropped it off today to be winterized and left a couple of jugs of synthethic 10W30 for them use. The guy I trust to maintain my outboard says it is the way to go, on the top and the bottom end.

I don't think there is any harm in runing either synthetic or dino oil, but I think the synthetic is the better oil for not much of a cost difference considering the price of outbpoards these days.

I am sure others will offer differing opinions. :glare:

AC

AC, the difference can be significant between synthetics and it pays to look at the details concerning the oil molecules and especially the additives. Shear strength, hydrophobic properties, lower emissions, reduced wear, reduced oxidation, increased fuel economy and oil change intervals and the amaising ability to micro polish surfaces are steps above the abilities of conventional oil so for myself I do see harm in using the old dino oil nowadays.

It depends where you are FT you can buy it at automotive performance shops, partsource stores carry it or you can order on the web but that could be pricey. Not all RP products are available in Canada yet though due to stupid reasons and if you need specialty oil such as chainsaw or compressor oil you have to purchase by the case ( the stores will not split the case) <_<

http://www.royalpurple.com/index.html

Concerning test results you can google plenty of info.