Looking to buy some waders. Any advice?

jrego7

I use BARE breathables and they are a great wader and they come in many thicknesses to fit your needs

I have a summer and a winter pair and they are under 300 bucks at Peters in st kitts...

Well worth a look... simms are also a great wader but alot more dollar...

Cliff...

If your budget is that high then Simms no question.

I like the new G3 guide waders.

Simms warranty and customer service is second to none in my experience as well.

Last year I sent them back a pair of guide boots that had been through the wringer.

The soles were falling off and they were coming apart at the seams.

I expected nothing as they weren't defective, just over used.

Still, Simms mailed me back a brand new pair of their latest boots free of charge.

That speaks volumes.

I have G3's and they are absolute crap. All the seams leak just a little bit. No tears, punctures and not much use. Over priced crap to target a market that makes you look good. They are the most comfortable waders and best looking ones but whats the point when they're useless for wading. I have another friend who had the same thing with waders and the crappy wading g3 jacket. Breathable waders are the perfect idea but if you plan on doing serious fishing of walking through bushes and lots of hiking then get some neoprenes. BAREs should do the trick.

And yes i know this will cause trouble with all the G3 lovers out there... :whistling:

I have G3's and they are absolute crap. All the seams leak just a little bit. No tears, punctures and not much use. Over priced crap to target a market that makes you look good. They are the most comfortable waders and best looking ones but whats the point when they're useless for wading. I have another friend who had the same thing with waders and the crappy wading g3 jacket. Breathable waders are the perfect idea but if you plan on doing serious fishing of walking through bushes and lots of hiking then get some neoprenes. BAREs should do the trick.

And yes i know this will cause trouble with all the G3 lovers out there... :whistling:

Really? Because I've used a bunch (Orvis, Bare, Cabelas, Hodgman, LL Bean, Cloudveil) and the Simms are the only ones that havn't leaked in the first seasons use.

The Bare and Cabelas waders leaked the first time I used them.

That's my experience, and I fish hard, put a lot of miles on my waders.

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying anything else at this point.

Really? Because I've used a bunch (Orvis, Bare, Cabelas, Hodgman, LL Bean, Cloudveil) and the Simms are the only ones that havn't leaked in the first seasons use.

The Bare and Cabelas waders leaked the first time I used them.

That's my experience, and I fish hard, put a lot of miles on my waders.

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying anything else at this point.

I don't get in the water anywhere near as often as you, but I use mine hard when I do get out once a week or so. One of my fave spots requires sliding on my butt down a steep wall for about 10' because of the slippery felt soles on my boots and I usually end up climbing up on my knees to get out. So far the worst the waders have suffered is grass stains.

The waders are Hodgman breathables with felt soled Hodgman boots that I picked up on sale at Dick's in the States for well under $100. Kinda baggy but very comfortable and durable.

So far so good.

JF

Are the BARE's in a similar price range of the Simms?

We've all had good luck with Bare dive wear but when there is a warranty issue it's not always so easy to get service. Perhaps the fishwear dept is better.

JF

I have had numerous problems with Bare breathable waders. The only good side was that their customer service was fantastic. Every leak, I received a brand new pair of waders. But after the 6th pair I decided it was time to try something new.

I currently own two pairs of breathables and I love both of them and no leak issues so far. I have simms G3. They fit me great, soft supple feel to them and no leak issues. I can't comment on the customer service yet and hopefully will not for a long time.

Second pair are LL Bean's wicked tough gortex waders. A little stiffer than the G3s but absolutely no leak issues with these as well. I have talked to people who also own these waders and they said they are bomb proof. The best part is LL bean will take them back no questions ask with any problem you have with them. They will even ship you a pair in advance of you sending back the old pair. My only complaint about them is the cuff is little tight and hard to pull over your wading boots. The simms use neoprene which is stretchy.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The LL beans retail for $299 and the simms I believe are about the same price. If you go for the simms, buy them at wilson's on queen. they will beat BPS's price by a couple of bucks.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Seams should carry a lifetime guarantee.. Send them in!!

If your budget is that high then Simms no question.

I like the new G3 guide waders.

Simms warranty and customer service is second to none in my experience as well.

Last year I sent them back a pair of guide boots that had been through the wringer.

The soles were falling off and they were coming apart at the seams.

I expected nothing as they weren't defective, just over used.

Still, Simms mailed me back a brand new pair of their latest boots free of charge.

That speaks volumes.

I conquer duuude.

Sent in a pair of guide model gortex 2 years back. I purchased them back in 1999, when they first came out. They were $600+ back then, but they were worth every penny. Anywho, sent them in for repair and was sent a brand new pair!! Apparently, the inner gortex layer had seperated from the outter shell, and there was a lifetime guarantee on them!

I think they're around $300 now..

Customer service, guality, looks(i look soo phrunky in them). There's no question. It's simms for my buck.

aayyoooooo

HD

Those Canadian Tire waders last & last.

Neoprene is tough & you can Crazy-Glue any rips.

Rubber Hippers are great for pushing through vegetation & creeks.

A couple of us purchased the green CTC boot foot waders and they certainly are durable. The problem is that neither of us can bend over in them. In my case I'd blame it on my fat butt, but Rob's a scrawny little dude and he has the same problem as me. It's rough trying to step up out of rivers and climb banks when you can't bend yer legs.

JF