Public Fishcams

outdoorguy61

Seeing the thread from the gentleman in the Sault Ste Marie area, I was pleased to see a fish cam remotely close to home. The puzzling part was that it was on the United States side as best as I could tell.

My question. Why do we not have fish cams on major fishways like the Ganaraska, let alone the Niagra River and much more. I work far away from home and love to get information and am surprisingly up to date, and see many of these things including in BC, but none back home.

I am hoping someone has a few fishcam sites from home. These things are great morale boosters.

Comments?

outdoorguy61

Well personaly I think,

If these fishcams are built, wouldn't it affect the fishery? Anyone can access the information, and on days where the camera is full of fish, wouldn't the river be crowded with fisherman? I guess it would make each outing more efficient and successful, but I don't think that is a good thing for the fishery. Plus I feel more rewarded when I go to Port Hope and got skunked for the first 5 times, and finally catch a fish on the 6th time. Fishing is not only about catching, its also the challenge and the joy of over coming those tough situations. <><

I think that some might assist in keeping track of other critters let alone conditions be it for fishing or monitoring say the outflow of a hydro station. I thought I recalled on the Super state thread something about carp and suckers moving in at times....interesting stuff.... in my opinion at any time of the year to occasionally peek at.

I think that the cost is something that could be argued, as simply a matter of doing business as a public relations item of sorts. I am aware of one fellow that had a camera on an eagles nest on Vancouver Island.....if some fellow with an interest in birds could do this, I am hopeful that someday, somehow we can see this in Ontario.

Locations are a good point, with some places where fish ladders or pipes being present being logical in my opinion.

I found this one, which is apparently on the Grand River in what sounds like a lower section, with warmwater species. Alas, it had nothing when I peeked, but I was simply happy to se one close to home.

http://www.biotactic.com/bravo/index.htm

I think I will put this on my wish list.....lol.

Thanks for replying.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Comical that you say "not enough fish" denisk as there sure was a difference looking at the Grand River fishcam last night and seeing nothing, versus the one near Sault Ste Marie that had ample fish.

I have heard about this one by Quesnel Lake (BC), that allegedly has seen some rainbows that would supposedly be a world record. I have not seen any footage from it myself, but do enjoy seeing anything above or below the water relating to nature.

It is good to see some varying opinions without getting nastey.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

Okay....my fishcam wish list.

Niagra River

Ganaraska R.

Credit River

Ottawa R.

Sault Ste Marie- this seems to be covered by the Americans

Grand- covered

somewhere near Kingston or Glenora

Seeing the Sault thread actually has me interested now, as I had a new mini one given to me about a month ago and never really thought much about it. I had seen snippets here and there and thought they seemed cute, but now, I think this could be something that might have significant appeal.

I agree that many things are wasted with this being something that would be an interesting investment, although not in conventional ways of approaching fisheries as a resource or business model.

Does anyone know if the Americans have one near Pulaski or anywhere in upper New York state by chance?

outdoorguy61

In southern Ontario fish tend to move up river during rains. The visability during a rain in the rivers during a rain is usually very poor. Once the river clears up, the fish are no longer moving.

I am not sure how effective a fishcam would be in southern Ontario.

Okay....my fishcam wish list.

Niagra River

Ganaraska R.

Credit River

Ottawa R.

Sault Ste Marie- this seems to be covered by the Americans

Grand- covered

somewhere near Kingston or Glenora

Seeing the Sault thread actually has me interested now, as I had a new mini one given to me about a month ago and never really thought much about it. I had seen snippets here and there and thought they seemed cute, but now, I think this could be something that might have significant appeal.

I agree that many things are wasted with this being something that would be an interesting investment, although not in conventional ways of approaching fisheries as a resource or business model.

Does anyone know if the Americans have one near Pulaski or anywhere in upper New York state by chance?

outdoorguy61

My fish cam wish list! Not here thank-you. Thats all we need, more netting and fishcams.