NW Ontario - Drive-to Lodge

dustink

I can certainly recommend Maki Bay Resort on Lac des Milles Lac. It's about an hour outside of Thunder Bay (1/2 hour highway, 1/2 hour logging road which can be longer depending on the state of the road) and Thunder Bay is just a hope across the border coming up from Duluth, MN if that helps. I've been there the last 2 years in a row and friends have been there many other times and I love the place. Great owners who will go out of their way to help you (including taking part their own equipment to help you fix yours but that's another story). Fishing is great fishing especially early in the season but it can be DAMN cold in May so be prepared. Also - walley doesn't open til 3rd week in May (unless they change it next year) but smallmouth bass and pike are all over the place and open year round.

You can view my reports from the last couple years Here (2008) and Here (2007). Google them and you'll find other happy customers.

1.Caribou Lake north of Armstrong, it's a fish factory. I've fished it twice (on my own camping), but have heard great things about this outfit: http://www.forrestlodge.com/

I knew the previous owners when it was called Camp Caribou and by all accounts these guys have improved the place.

2.O'sullivan Lake north of Nakina. Very similar to Caribou, and another lake I've fished.

These guys are the only outfitter on the lake: http://www.osullivansrainbow.com/

I can certainly recommend Maki Bay Resort on Lac des Milles Lac. It's about an hour outside of Thunder Bay (1/2 hour highway, 1/2 hour logging road which can be longer depending on the state of the road) and Thunder Bay is just a hope across the border coming up from Duluth, MN if that helps. I've been there the last 2 years in a row and friends have been there many other times and I love the place. Great owners who will go out of their way to help you (including taking part their own equipment to help you fix yours but that's another story). Fishing is great fishing especially early in the season but it can be DAMN cold in May so be prepared. Also - walley doesn't open til 3rd week in May (unless they change it next year) but smallmouth bass and pike are all over the place and open year round.

You can view my reports from the last couple years Here (2008) and Here (2007). Google them and you'll find other happy customers.

This place looks very nice. Great reports by the way.

If you are planning to fish for walleye on the first week of May, you are out of luck in most of northern ontario, a quick look at the regulations will show you that zones 1 to 11 (thats all I checked) have the opening of walleye on the 3rd saturday in May.

Plan your trip accordingly if walleye are the preferred species

Little Canoe Camp...

It's on Rainy Lake. 1.5 hours from International falls, Minnesota border.

Drive right to it, put your boat in, and hammer fish.

All species are there. Its a little rustic (bring your own food and gear type thing)

Pm me if you want contact info for the operator.

Check out post from a few weeks ago.. I think it was called "Fall in Nothwestern Ontario'