Fly fishing in the Nith River

Carlitoboy

Hey folks!

I've just recently got hooked on fly fishing. Spent most of my time in waders, fly fishing for Salmon over the last few weeks in the currently legal sections of bronte creek and credit river. Caught a couple nice salmon! I'm looking to hunt for trout next; browns and rainbow. I've noticed that Nith River is an option for trout and other species like pike and small mouth, and from what I understand the season isn't closed after sept 30th, like all the good spots are on bronte and the credit. It's pretty much open for catch and release. Has anyone been fishing this river this fall as of late?

Cheers!

Going by the regulations,the Nith is now closed for trout but Pike are open until Dec 31 and Bass are open until Nov 30.I saw no mention of the Nith specifically but the extended season for trout on the Grand river is further down then where the Nith flows into it.Trout seaon on the Grand is open until Dec 31 from 100m downstream of the hwy2 bridge in Paris(southend).Lots of places for you to try flyfishing there.hope this helps.By the way,have only heard of one trout being caught in the Nith.

I think it's pretty clear that Nith River is in Zone 16. In the Fisheries Management article for Zone 16, there is no mention of the Nith River... ???

It won't if there are no Additional Opportunities or Exceptions.

Edited by nomad

No it is a written rule. If you're fishing in zone 16 you should always assume the trout season is close on sept 30 as per the regs unless there is a specifically mentioned exception. They obviously can't list all the waters that close on the standard date.

I'm not trying to be rude to you at all here, just making sure you understand, so you don't find out from an angry conservation officer.

No it is a written rule. If you're fishing in zone 16 you should always assume the trout season is close on sept 30 as per the regs unless there is a specifically mentioned exception. They obviously can't list all the waters that close on the standard date.

I'm not trying to be rude to you at all here, just making sure you understand, so you don't find out from an angry conservation officer.

that would involve actually SEEING a conservation officer.

Kinda sad isnt it? Knowing that you could fish illegally for years without the risk of getting caught. I have been fishing one trib a couple times a week for 4 or 5 years now and I ONCE saw a CO, and he didnt even ask for my license.