A Salmon on Thanksgiving Day!

bassfighter

Got lucky on thanksgiving day, Wife allowed me and my son to fish. Caught this 15 lber and found a new Salmon honey hole for the season while exploring, hardly anyone was in site , and no one was aiming for Salmon.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/b...bum/salmon2.jpg

We were originally just aiming for carp or bullheads as they were around, after realizing that the place had Salmon actively jumping, I took my Charteuse minnow plug due to the water was stained. After second cast , caught this Male Salmon with my new equipment. It took me roughly 10+ minutes to land this, the salmon jumped and cleared the air that acted more like a large mouth bass.

I was using a brand new 10' Shimano convergence, 15 lb braided line, a used japan made Shimano symetre 2000 reel that I just received from Ebay for $20, and a new dollarama charteuse minnow plug that I tweaked ( to make it heavier, I drilled a 1/4 inch hole into the body and added sand to make it heavier and seal it with a glue gun). I was happy that the reel did its job, though there were few visible scratches on this used reel ,the drag was as smooth, it seemed to be even better built than the newer symetre made in China today. THe Dollarams lure hooks was sharp and strong enough to with stand the fight.

I would have stayed way longer to catch more, but my son has to go back home to finish his home work, and we have to call it a day. We stayed and fish for another half an hour and headed back home.

I was surprise that the Salmon hit my lure when it was a warm front where other places I have been , the Salmon won't hit anything. Hard work, perseverance, passion, and a little luck always pay off as I reminded my son that day. I did hand over the rod to him for few seconds to feel the fight and pull from the fish.

Edited by bassfighter

Response to WILD's inquiry on the Shimano Convergence,

I find it a little bit too heavy if one wanted to chug spoon for more than two hours. I bought it for the lifetime warranty factor. I bought the 2008 model and it was on sale at Lebarons or Bass pro for $72, 2009 model will cost close to $90. The Rod will not break as a selling tool advantage. If I have a choice of returning it, I would.

I own two other 12 foot rod and they were way lighter and I can chug spoon with them for 5 hours with no problem. However after three years and catching decent number of Salmon and trout, they tend to break, but were still fixable with some patches on them.

Fighting with Salmon is a plus using the convergence . Using it for float fishing would not be too advisable, the rod is too stiff and heavy. No need to use this heavy rod to fight with trout either. Lighter rod gives us more feel. I was aiming for trout two weeks ago and accidentally landed a 3-4lb large mouth bass. I hardly felt the fish fight due to its stiffness. I landed the fish but was not thrilled for most of my bass rod were light and I can feel the fish fighting with me.

Using this Convergence, being a stiffer rod, on fast Current would also be advantageous.

I bought A 9' Berkley Cherrywood model rod from Le barons for $19 last year. Convert some of the guide for Spinning reel application. I rank it my best steelhead rod so far, enough backbone to crank with spoon and can float fish with it as well. Very thin in its shaft, quite light, but can take up to 14 lb line. Le Barons still have them today but for the price of $45 and the guide is all very small, for trolling application they say. I also used this for Salmon at times, but will have to be extra careful for fear of breaking the rod.

The question is ....What is more important, the feel of your lure or landing the fish or life time warranty? I just wish there is a perfect rod for different application.

Edited by bassfighter

Thanks Bassfighter, I did look at it as BPS I think it is selling in the 70's right now.I was thinking of using it for fish other than steelhead but I agree on the weight too I will think this one over a bit before I give the nod to this one though.

I've also been using my 10' convergence this year catching salmon, no problem with it.

the only down side would be the weight, but it has enough backbone to fight with a fresh run salmon.

btw, nice male salmon!! it looked way better than the beat up salmon i caught on sunday.