it just never seems to end.

bow slayer

Sterling Trucks in St,Thomas just announced itis closing in March.Another 700 people will be out of a job joining the other 1300 already on layoff from there. Thats 2000 familes affected. Combine that with the other plant closings in Ontario and we are talking almost 10,000 high paying jobs lost forever. Thats not counting the ripple down affect this will have on other businesses . In the last 1.5 years St.Thomas alone there have been over 3500 high paying jobs lost and the Ford plant is slated to close in 2010. This trend needs to stop.

It wont stop. Like the Fishermen in Newfoundland you may have to re-trade or relocate, like they have done. Betcha Fort McMurray is little Newfoundland. We've had Mayors, the Premier, and now Sask Jobs trying to get you guys here to fill in desperate jobs. Again, like construction jobs , you may get the big bucks, but there is a good possibility of lay off. Go where the jobs are. Be Brave and Bold. You may like it here.

What do you plan to do about it Bowslayer? What do you think anybody on this board can do about it?

Organized labor has priced themselves out of a job! I see lots of manufacturing facilities closing down in the North, but at the same time... the South is booming with construction projects building new manufacturing facilities with modern equipment, and even expanding facilities that aren't even a decade old and puting our people to work in them Open Shop. They pay good wages and have great benefits... and don't have to worry about strikes.

If y'all need a job. come on down! The summers are kinda warm, but the winters are fairly mild with no closed seasons on fishing! :Gonefishing:

I am afraid you are right Glen when big business can not make the profit they need to survive then they will cut costs any way they can. I have never been union and I feel that they are an asset when working conditions were poor at best and the people needed a voice but their demands are sometimes excessive. The issues are that the people that use the products are the ones that ultimately pay the price of the union dues with higher retail costs. Right now people are tightening their belts and unless industry can match the demands of the customers then they will find the market place a brutal place to compete. I am truly sorry to hear about the loss of jobs up North and South and wish the people a speedy resolution to their delemia.

Art

sometimes unions can't help either...If a business is gonna close its gonna close. I am also worried! We are coming up on a new union contract and the company is being brutal.....they may close our plant as well. Well at least thats what we think they are gonna do! Its worth more if they close! i have already been in 2 factoies that have closed and moved to southern USA and Mexico....it is just the way they are going! We should all get GCD to sponsor us all....LOL