Bought a new kayak

jediangler

Drove 270km up to Bracebridge on Saturday to Muskoka Outfitters to buy a new kayak. Man the 400 was slow going. It took me 3.5hrs up and 2.5hrs back. Bought a Native Watercraft ultimate 12 tegris model. Man this sucker is light, 28lbs for a 12ft boat with the seat removed, 36lbs with it in.

tegcar.jpg

Easy to put on the roof and didn't even notice it was up there when I was driving.

tegtop.jpg

tegside.jpg

Here it is about to begin it's maiden voyage in the Grand river.

tower08.jpg

Anyone recognize this spot?

1sttegris.jpg

1st fish was a little smallie that hit a 1/16oz jig & grub combo in yellow.

tegrissm.jpg

This one hit a 1/8oz jig & grub in white. Ended up with 5 smallies, all around the same size, and one crappie.

Nice day to be on the water. Saw 1 canoe and 5 kayaks in 2.5hrs. We are taking over the world people so throw away your operators cards and pick up a paddle :thumbsup_anim: .

That is a step up danbo. I have had 4yrs of good use from my Canadian tire $279 special (they now sell for $399) but I had to find out if I was really into the sport before I invested big bucks. I've had my Sportspal canoe for 15yrs so I figured 15yrs from now I'll be 60 and I wanted something light enough that I could still roof it on the car.

That looks like an awesome boat. I have a few questions, Ive canoed a lot in the past and really don't know how heavy it is, its fiberglass. If that is a Kayak because it sure looks close to a canoe, how sturdy/steady is it in comparison with a canoe. How is it for trolling, do you double paddle or can you use a single paddle. Also 39 lbs really seems light, what would a fiberglass canoe of the same size weigh just as a comparison. bye the way nice pics, thanks

Well holdfast, it's considered a hybrid. Part canoe, part kayak. It is recommended to use a kayak paddle. It's made of Tegris which is used as bullet proof clothing for the military. It is less than 1/8 of an inch thick and weighs 28lbs with the seat removed. It has skirts that cover it and make it look more like a kayak but I haven't tried mine yet. Maybe tomorrow. I don't troll but you can stand up in it although I don't feel comfortable with that yet, that's how stable it is. Here is a link to a video on Youtube of a guy standing and flyfishing out of a Tegris 12.

Edited by jediangler

Hey Bro, cool lookin yakoe or canak or whatever ya call it. did ya figure out a wheeled cart for this one? Yup I know the spot well, water looked clear and average level too. Gonna have to give it a shot again soon. Was there a few weeks ago and it was high and dirty only picked up one small smallie.

It is a great way to fish the Grand or many other waterbodies for that matter. Just remember bass doesn't open until next summer, but it is open until end of Nov-08.

Expect lots of feedback on your new toy Jedi!

Edited by nomad