Ottawa river was a bust, but I did hit the Notty today!

BillM

All I can say is bad timing!!! Looks like we just hit turnover... Didn't see a smallmouth bass, caught 1 pickerel maybe 1/4lb, and 2 pike. One pike went about 4, then other 6 or so.. I did get bit off by something big when casting a 1oz Daredevil. Felt a lot of weight and then nothing :)...

The scenery was absolutely beautiful though... Can't beat the fall colours up there.

First day was really windy, a good 15km/h with gusts atleast up to 30. I've never seen a river with 2ft waves before, I guess there is a first for everything. This picture does the water no justice at all...

steelhead003.jpg

The next morning it was nice and calm, fog rolling off the river, just doesn't get any better (Ok, well if the fish were biting that would have been great!)

steelhead005.jpg

steelhead006.jpg

steelhead007.jpg

Found a little creek emptying into the Ottawa, was hoping the warmer water would attract the bait, which inturn would attract the fish :)

steelhead008.jpg

steelhead009.jpg

Personally, I think the French River put a curse on us for not making our annual fall trip up there! We'll be back to the Ottawa in the spring, hopefully it turns out a bit better. Atleast we weren't the only ones catching nothing, everyone at camp was in the same boat.

Today, longing for some trout fishing I decided to take a trip to the Notty. Making sure that I read the regs and bows were actually open, I grabbed my gear and headed on down. I wasn't expecting to catch much to tell you the truth as the rumour is the steelies haven't made there way up the river yet. When I got there, another guy had landed a nice fish. He asked to borrow my pliers which I gratefully offered him. He asked me if he could keep the fish, I replied with "Didn't you see the big sign when walking down to the river?" This area is 100% Catch and Release, all year. He thanked me for the pliers and his fish was on her way. I asked him and his buddy if they were making their way up river, as I didn't want to walk infront of them and ruin the pools... they were there first. They told me they were both headed home and to enjoy myself.

The sun was bright and the fish were in hiding. Deep deep pools and the shade is where they were. I was surprised at how many casts I made to the same pool without getting a fish. However, I tried my luck with a number 0 Mepps Algia and man did it pay off! My first river steelhead!!! This thing went absolutely ape *$*#!! I was running a UL setup with 4lb test, this fish made the reel scream like I have never heard before. The hit was so hard and powerful, I realize now why people love catching these fish. Nice male fish, maybe 4-5lbs....

steelhead-resized.jpg

On most of my spinners I run a Siwash hook along with the barb pinched down. The hook just popped out extremely easy, no blood, the fish was definitely no worse for wear when he was put back into the river.

steelhead-resized2.jpg

I lost a smaller fish at the next pool, maybe 2-3lbs, this thing hit like crazy and just took off up river, tail dancing the whole way! I wasn't to upset.. I as just shaking my head and laughing... These fish have spunk!!

Walked up a few more pools and found a big curve in the river with a really nice pool. I thought for sure this pool would pay off if I put my time in, luckily I was right with this nice hen. This fight didn't last as long, maybe 5 mins, but she made the reel scream just as loudly as the first fish :) I lost my Mepps and tried a few more spinners, finally figuring out that silver was the colour of the day. Tied on this #1 Bluefox blue body with silver blade.

steelhead-resized3.jpg

steelhead-resized4.jpg

I tell ya, was a great way to spend 4hrs this afternoon :) I hope you guys had similar weekends!!! Oldman and I are going to hit GBay tomorrow for some fall smallmouth action!

Nice reports there Bill!

The Ottawa River looks huge but very scenic up that way. Very nice.

Those 'bows from the Notty look pretty healthy. Those #0or #1 mepps are pretty effective on the river steelhead,

in the fall or later spring. Used them for bows in May alot.

Thanks for report,

ehg

Nice Job on the bows!

I love when there hitting the Spinning gear...got My PB on an original Silver/Black Floating Rapala 2 years ago.

I had seen a few guys catch some real beauty's on a silver and Black Panther martin, so I figured the same thing...must be the silver flash of baitfish they were liking....I beleive it was my 2nd cast and whammo!

Thanks for sharing!

Walked the Notty Sunday morning in Ivy. Water had a nice pea green to it. Also seen the C&R postings. Still never seen those 40 dollar permit ones though. :dunno::blahblah1:

Nice catching Bill.

Thanks man :) I was out Sunday as well, walked a good 4km's up the river and not even a hit.. I dunno what happened to the fish but they were either tight lipped or disappeared completely. I would guess it was due to the warm weather.. I hope the colder stuff gets here soon!!

If you ever need a partner to walk the river with, drop me a PM, I'm always ready to go.