Thinking of buying a 1992-1994 Camry NF

Clampet

Hoping to get some advice on Toyota camry's that have high mileage (200,000 +).

Does anyone know of somebody that has one.

I'm thinking I like the 4 cyl but have concerns about timing belts, as opposed to the V6 equipped models that have a timing chain.

Edited by Clamp-it

Hoping to get some advice on Toyota camry's that have high mileage (200,000 +).

Does anyone know of somebody that has one.

I'm thinking I like the 4 cyl but have concerns about timing belts, as opposed to the V6 equipped models that have a timing chain.

The way small cars are selling these days... you'lll porbably just be buying somebody elses problems! :wallbash: ... not only will you have the initial buying cost, but you'll probably need to replace all belts, hoses, fluids, filters, new shocks, and have the brakes inspected just to make it road worthy. :wallbash:

Checkout a new Kia or Hyundai to save yourself some grief!

The 4cyl is the way to go. Mileage like that is nothing on a toyota. You'll be able to tell from the way the rest of the car looks as to how well the owner took care of it. I put my 85 toyota cressida to rest in 2004 after 335,000km only because the body had finally rotted out. My 94 lexus gs300 has 250,000km on it now and shows no sign of slowing down. The timing belt isn't a big problem on those camrys because, unlike hondas, it's a non interference belt. In other words, if it goes, you just have to replace it and it doesn't screw up the syncronicity of the engine like when a honda's goes. Take it to your mechanic for a compression test if you can.

Get a Kia or Hyundai if you only want to get 100000kms out of it. Toyotas are good cars. I have a Tercel for a winter car and it won't die (305000km, burns no oil and it sat in a field for three years), unfortunantly the body is slowly rotting off. If you're going to get a Camry, make sure the body and frame are good and you'll probably want to do a compression and leakdown before the purchase. Don't buy an old car unless you are mechanically inclined is my advice. The timing belt shouldn't be a big concern -- Toyota builds non-interference motors so if it breaks, just put a new one on and you're good to go. A new one is good for 160000km so you can always just replace it when you buy the car.

Edit: jediangler beat me to the punch - I agree with him but interference vs non-interference refers to the valves being able to contact the pistons. If the belt breaks in a honda, you will probably need a new head.

Edited by 4thgen

I only hope to have it fer about a year to make short (8Km) daily trips back and forth from work, so I'm hoping it will be up to the task.

if that's all you're doing, you'll probably end up keeping it a lot longer than you think... toyotas are hard to kill... the body will go before the working parts. i just bought a 99 tercel, it's only got 140,000 kms on it... i'll be driving that car for years...

Received a 92 Camry from brother in law, drove five years, returned it to him last year as his kids were then old enough to drive. The 92 was a new model year and with any model year, bugs needed to be worked out. Get a 93 or later if possible, although the 92 served us well. Good advice on changing the timing belt, although belt changed out at 145K was in good shape. No problems whatsoever with engine (4 cylinder) and tranny. (automatic) Car was hard on brakes-4 wheel disk. This car was fully optioned when new and these were the things that went out-electric window drivers side, sun roof motor, that kind of thing. Be prepared for a rusty fuel tank - new spun plastic fix was $359. Wiper arm mechanism needed re and re 3 times - gutter under windshield collected all kinds of dirt and leaves, despite our best efforts to removematerial. Needed intermediate shaft in steering column replaced. Power steering lines rusted and needed replacing. Four struts replaced. Average cost of running over 5 years was about $1000.00 per year. Got about 35 mpg (Can)

If it were me in your situation and wanted to go Toyota, would look for an Echo, standard transmission with A/C. Have owned one new since 2004 and all it has needed is oil changes. If driven easily, gets close to 50 mpg. Car was built in Japan and absolutely flawless in terms of engineering, fit and finish. Only dislike is brakes seem 'fadey'. Would also look at used Corolla, 2003 being the model change over year..to 2008. Some problems in the early years with ECU and a rusty raw fuel canister rusting up by fuel tank, but mostly good and gas mileage approaching 45 mpg. A visit to www.toyotanation.com or www.tundrasolutions.com would give you more information.

As the Echo has only a speedometer and gas gauge, I found this tool very helpful:

www.scangauge.com. Has real time read out of most ECU functions, tach, and reads and clears CEL codes on most vehicles.

Edited by blue pickeral

Completely disregard my first post Jed... this guy sounds like he really knows what he's talkin' about!!! :whistling:

Maybe hes peeved because he lost his job with Ford or Chevrolet. By the way, Hyundai is almost on par with the Jap reliability. I read Consumer Reports and the Lemonade books. Put it this way, your car will be warranted for as long as you make your payments

Well went to check out this one today..

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.asp...mp;adid=7301134

and when the salesman got in and started it up, I noticed blue smoke coming from the tailpipe. I'm thinking not good. <_<

So he pulls it out of the tight space, and affixes the dealer plate, and tells me to go ahead and take it fer a test drive.

So I get in and since it's a warm day, I fidget with the A/C and it doesn't work.

Strike two. <_<

So b4 I venture out onto the public road, I carefully drive it and test the brakes.

Brakes are next to non existent. <_<

OK strike two and a half.

So I tell myself to be extra careful, as the brakes won't suffice in an emergency situation, but I have no intention of going over 40-60 km/hour.

So, I give 'er a little extra gas, and it starts to accelerate, then it hesitates.

Strike 2 3/4. <_<

I go about 200 yards and pull into a vacant lot, to have a look see under the hood, with the engine running.

B4 granny and I can get out of this 'Special Deal' the smoke is just pouring out from under the front of the car. I lift the bonnet just to amuse myself, and it is not a pretty sight.

Finally strike 3.

I bring the car back, and tell the guy..." SOLD!!" :w00t:

The expression on his face is priceless. I'ts like he can't believe he found a sucker to buy this thing. Anyhow, I break the news to him the car is a piece of junk and give him back the keys.

Stay tuned fer tomorrows saga, as I continue on my quest to find a good used Toyota Camry.

if it was me i would also look at honda accords specifically 1994-2002 models these are some great cars especially the 1998-2002 model my dad has an 02 v6 that has 160km on it and he has had nothing but regular maintnance and my friend has a 03 v6 and he has only had the battery die 185km in. if it was me i would be going honda but hey its you what is your budget?

Metro Pass..works for me.

I can't stand public transportation! :wallbash:

Who wants to wait fer a bus?

I remember a few years ago, I had to go without a vehicle fer about a month.

I had to make a trip from Square One area ( Rathburne and HWY 10) to Brampton (Shoppers World) Steeles and HWY 10.

It took me and Granny 4 hours to go there and back! :angry:

By car it would have been a 30 minute ordeal, that's the difference. ;)

Word of Warning. Watch out for those private deals where the seller is a friend or brother of a car dealer. You buy from the pvt seller but fill out the dealer paperwork They usually come with heavy accents and call you "FREND" coincidently I bought two Hondas that way from two different people and had a phonecall from a Pvt Investigator as one of them was a son of a shady dealer that had lost his Buisness Licence. Coincidently both said they were Afghans. Yea one Honda didnt make it home as it had a blown Headgasget. When I called I was not his FREND no more and lost his English.

Edited by holdfast

check out the mazda 626 they sell pretty cheap and are some good cars

check this one out to

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24094

Yes, I have seen that add in our very own classifieds.

A appreciate the help, but that car is worth about $1,000.00.

Way too much mileage.

People sell their cars when they are practically finished. Oh sure they look nice, but what good is a vehicle up on blocks. I suppose I could sit in it and listen to the CD player.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus Wagon with 85,000kms that I am selling for about $5,000

It is in Mississauga.

Is that "THE" PigeonFisher. :worthy:

If I was pending $5,000.00 I would be buying a good used Camry.

Thanks, anyway. <_<

You never speak to me on this board, but you come out of hiding to turn a profit on me. :dunno:

I like you.

Really, I do. :rolleyes: