North Bay Steelhead

rhcranked

Sorry I don't know where my manners are. My name is Patrick. I've only been fishing for just over a year, but I'm definetly hooked. Seems like all my spare time for the past year has been on the water. I spent a lot of time on the credit last winter with a few hits but nothing landed. Started fishing the eastern tribs in the spring and finally caught my first and only rainbow. Had a lot of fun over the summer fishing for bass and pike, mostly from my kayak. I've tried fly fishing a few times, but haven't had much luck with the fly rod.

That rainbow I caught was the most exciting fish I've caught. I was looking forward to going back to the eastern tribs for more steelhead action this fall, but I got a job offer in North Bay that I couldn't refuse. I know there are a ton of lakes to fish in the area and I look forward to exploring them with the kayak next summer. But I need to survive the winter first and I'm hoping there are some rivers in the area that won't freeze over and hold some fish. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

you're probably going to have to switch to other fishing. Other than lakers, he farther into northern ontario you go, the smaller the trout are, that's if they're even in the water. There are practically no migratory fish up there such as salmon and steelhead. The best fishing will be for other species such as suckers, pike, walleye, yellow perch, whitefish and a few others. The bass fishing really drops off up there too. The only stream trout you can expect to get are small rainbows and specks/brook. And you can also expect to see 99% of the rivers freeze over too, the water can still run fast underneath the ice though so stay off.

...there's killer pike and walleye fishing in northern ontario.

Learn where Grand Desert is. Then get your hands on the MNR stocking list for that area. There are oodles of stocked lakes in that area and in addition to lakers, you can also find meaty specks and splake as well. I will say, what you should do is get out and fish Lake Nosbonsing which is the lake I grew up on. It's a world class muskie fishery.

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

Learn where Grand Desert is. Then get your hands on the MNR stocking list for that area. There are oodles of stocked lakes in that area and in addition to lakers, you can also find meaty specks and splake as well. I will say, what you should do is get out and fish Lake Nosbonsing which is the lake I grew up on. It's a world class muskie fishery.

Hey Billy where did you live when you fished lake Nosbonsing.I have fished this lake many times in summer and winter.

My mom lives 2 minutes down the road on HWY 531 in Bonfield.Lets not forget the Pike fishing is awesome there too.

MTP :canadian:

Hey Billy where did you live when you fished lake Nosbonsing.I have fished this lake many times in summer and winter.

My mom lives 2 minutes down the road on HWY 531 in Bonfield.Lets not forget the Pike fishing is awesome there too.

MTP :canadian:

I lived in Bonfield for 2 years and then spent another year on the other side of Nosbonsing in Astorville. And my Mom currently lives in Corbeil! I can't seem to escape....not that I'd want to! You're right, the pike fishing is awesome as well!

Looks like I might living on the east end of Trout lake. What kind of fish will I be able to find in there? I checked out the area on Google maps, looks like it links to the town of Mattawa. Would I be able to take my Kayak through the that waterway all the way to the Ottawa river (I think its the Ottawa river, dosent say on the map)?

Looks like I might living on the east end of Trout lake. What kind of fish will I be able to find in there? I checked out the area on Google maps, looks like it links to the town of Mattawa. Would I be able to take my Kayak through the that waterway all the way to the Ottawa river (I think its the Ottawa river, dosent say on the map)?

[/quote ]

Mattawa is my home town. You can and should take a trip down the river to Mattawa from Tout lake. Trout lake has trout in it, but the fishery is closed for that species. There is good smalmouth fishing and musky in Turtle lake. As you travel down the river, you will have the opportunity to catch Lake Trout, Walleye, Pike, Musky, Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass, Perch, the odd Brook trout near some of the tributaries and a number of different coarse fish. the Ottawa river is stacked with Walleye and shore fishing is available most of the year neer the hydro dam in Mattawa. Welcome to the area.