University of Waterloo

Cudz

I seem to recall several people from this board went there or are currently going there. Chime in and let us know when you went. It would be interesting to see if there were many fellow anglers when I went there. Would have been cool to have an angling club to save on gas $$. Maybe there was one there and I was unaware. I fished the grand and columbia lake a few times.

1991-1995 Bachelor of Environmental Studies

Was there 89-95 (Bmath) and never wetted a line. Didn't even know where Columbia lake was til second year and couldn't find the Grand if my life depended on it. I could find the BombShelter blindfolded and pass out drunk (pretty sure I did that on a few occasions) but never though of fishing til after I left, now I find myself driving up there every chance I get, go figure.

Undergrad Civil Engineering ... class of 2010

I think they drained Columbia Lake a couple years ago and it doesn't look like there's any fish in it. Many others have told me that there were small carp in the ponds in campus ... i've gone out scouting a couple times and didn't see any ... they might also have disappeared after they drained the river system.

Used to fish at the grand 2-3 times a week for carp when i had the car ... 2-3 hours would give me 4-5 fish (biggest i've gotten there was 18lbs i think).

I would love to go fishing sometime if someone can carpool me.

Just a side note not to highjack the thread. Any of you guys know what WATFOR is/was without Googling it? I was immensely interested in that in those years.

I went to Waterloo in 1970 to study computer sciences. I'd been operating a big ole 360/20 for a couple of years and thought it would be smart to get a degree. But it was really seriously boring, so I plotzed along in English and Psych till '73, then did my post grad studying backpacking in Europe. Still defending that thesis to this day. :whistling:

JF

I went to Waterloo in 1970 to study computer sciences. I'd been operating a big ole 360/20 for a couple of years and thought it would be smart to get a degree. But it was really seriously boring, so I plotzed along in English and Psych till '73, then did my post grad studying backpacking in Europe. Still defending that thesis to this day. :whistling:

JF

HAHAHAHAHA My son went to Toulouse in architecture and ended up with a major in skiing Switzerland.

Just a side note not to highjack the thread. Any of you guys know what WATFOR is/was without Googling it? I was immensely interested in that in those years.

haven't heard that since undergrad.

the fortran compiler from some UofW's supernerds used back when the famous red room housed one of the most powerful supercomputers on the planet. Now my electronic toaster does twice the bogomips.

It's amazing what came out of that school over the years. Watcom C and basic became some the early standards in compilers and their janet project was one of the first if not THE first mac networking frameworks used worldwide. Its faculty, grads, and students have put waterloo and UofW on the world map, there's so much innovation at that place for such a relatively young school...

Guest skeeter99

old computer languages I love it!! watfor a compiler with error diagnostics (actually a geat leap in that time)

anyone remeber assembler? playing logo on a apple? loading the operating system by tape everytime you used the computer

my teacher in college talked about the punch cards and stuff

hey I am not that old 34 actually, and I learned cobol/fortran and jcl and still work with it today, it is the mainstay of the computer industry. and you get paid big bucks to do it too. the ibm Z9 (ie mainframe) for the older guys is a staple of all large corporations

those windows and unix boxes just dont havet he power and probably never will

never mind IBM's IMS ie (information management system) written ages ago is so alive today and very much in use

Ryerson university has or actually is creating a course(degree) in jcl/cobol because of the large demand from corporations and the lack of skilled workers in canada and the u.s., so any of u young guys it is a great career opportunity. I walked into a job the day after graduation and trust me companies are dying for people that know this stuff

schools now only pump out "java programers" "web designers" "database admins" "network engineers" which is okay but in most companies there are only a handful of these jobs at best ,so jobs are a little tougher to get unless u are good

Edited by skeeter99

old computer languages I love it!! watfor a compiler with error diagnostics (actually a geat leap in that time)

anyone remeber assembler? playing logo on a apple? loading the operating system by tape everytime you used the computer

my teacher in college talked about the punch cards and stuff

hey I am not that old 34 actually, and I learned cobol/fortran and jcl and still work with it today, it is the mainstay of the computer industry. and you get paid big bucks to do it too. the ibm Z9 (ie mainframe) for the older guys is a staple of all large corporations

those windows and unix boxes just dont havet he power and probably never will

never mind IBM's IMS ie (information management system) written ages ago is so alive today and very much in use

Ryerson university has or actually is creating a course(degree) in jcl/cobol because of the large demand from corporations and the lack of skilled workers in canada and the u.s., so any of u young guys it is a great career opportunity. I walked into a job the day after graduation and trust me companies are dying for people that know this stuff

schools now only pump out "java programers" "web designers" "database admins" "network engineers" which is okay but in most companies there are only a handful of these jobs at best ,so jobs are a little tougher to get unless u are good

My first job in data processing was feeding cards into a 360/20. Anybody remember what MFCM really stands for, or the agony of having a handful of cards squirt all over the floor, or trying to reconstruct a machine-mangled punch card? Those were the days, my friend ..... NOT! :wallbash:

JF

MFCM - My F'n Computer Malfunctioned......

Mother F'n Card Mangler. It was acceptable parlance, even in mixed company, as long as the female contingent (or at least those of tender sensibilities) had experience with said mfcm.

JF