Fall Musky Help

Stoty

I'm heading up to the cottage one final time, and since its going to be so nice out, figured I would try my luck for musky again.

I went out opening weekend with no luck at all (except for one swimming into my trolling motor!). That was my first time musky fishing.

Since I am such a musky rookie, any help on the typical locations (depth, structure, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

No I am not asking for your spots...just general locations where my chances would be the best, and what techniques to focus on.

My cottage is right around the "Hell's Gate" area.

Thanks in advance.

*Stoty

In general, I would say if you are going to try casting to the edges of weedlines or rock shoals, you can't go wrong with a large bucktail spinner with a black tail and silver blade. If you do not have any luck with that then I would switch gears completely and try trolling with a believer on the shallower eye setting on the lure. If you only have bass lures, the largest rapala you have would also be good.

I fished it pretty hard a week ago and it was S-L-O-W

Not a sign of anything.

We worked the Gate, Burleigh falls area, and Hurricane bend, and found a lot of healthy weed yet, and some what warmer water then expected, but not much info to offer out side of a thorough skunking LOL!

Info thats been passed to me that I can pass to you is cast the islands were deep water meets the hard edge of weed beds.

Good luck.

With the warm water I'll be staying in the 5-15 FOW range. Find a nice rock or weed shelf that's maybe 5' deep on top and around 15' dep off of it...that's the structure I've been using and will be using tomorrow morning. I've had some awesome luck with shallowraiders and jakes in black perch and regular perch colors. I've also been trolling around 3.5MPH, so it's quick, but not too quick for the cooling water.

I also wouldn't be afriad to chuck some top water lures over shallow weeds beds early in the morning or just as trhe sun is setting...the warm water should push them a little more shallow.

Good luck,

MW

Hey Stoty, I'm in no way a muskie fisherman and have never fished for them before. However I can tell you that I have spotted a total of 3 muskie on my time at Stoney.

I saw them during the early spring time, which I am assuming is similar to the present patterns, in very shallow water (5 feet). There were two of them right next to each other, and they were dang HUGE. I don't recall where exactly but it was close to shore and some grass stickin out of the water, and fairly shallow.