Any input on Muskie fishing on Lower Buckhorn this month?

muskie_bob

I am heading up to Lower Buckhorn for my annual Muskie fishing trip and wondered if anyone could provide me with updates on how the muskie fishing has been this month? Any tips on successful lures or tactics would be much appreciated. I was told the lake has turned over but would also like confirmation of that if possible.

Edited by MuskieBob

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately nobody was able to provide me with any tips on fishing lower buck (most people seem to fish pigeon or stoney) but I seemed to have done alright on my own. The conditions were rough a couple of days I was out there last weekend but at least it was not that cold. I managed to get one muskie trolling the edge of the channel and one casting in deer bay. I have attached photos of the fish caught.

Hopefully, the fishing will be as good next year.

PA260601.JPG

PA260587.JPG

Nice fish Bob!! Sorry I didn't see your original request for help or I would have suggested some things as i have a cottage on lower Buckhorn. I know the areas from your pics well and they have produced for me also. I see now they have dropped the water level so that can cause problems fishing as there are lots of shallow rocks on the lake.

Kawartha Kev

Here is my reply to a bunch of the feedback that I have received.

KawarthaKev

I agree the water level was down when we were out there but not nearly as bad as last year. We know the lake quite well and have managed to avoid rocks the last bunch of years we were out there. I did not attempt to squeeze into Black Duck this year and that is where I have traditionally introduced the prop to the rocks.

Irishfield

The fish revived well and headed right back to the deep. His belly was actually pretty thick but not that easy to see in the photo, he definitely had the feed bag on.

jediangler

Yes, we were fishing out of a pontoon boat and this was the first year that my back did not ache for weeks after. It definitely allowed us to stay out on the water when the waves were too big for a smaller boat. Not the best for fishing the shallows but for trolling is was sheer luxury.

muskiehunter5150

The bigger muskie was caught trolling down 20 feet with a planer board using an 8" Yo-zuri hollow form shad deep diving minnow. That is the second muskie I have caught on the lake using this lure. The second muskie was caught casting a live minnow with a slow retrieve from the dock of the cottage I was staying at.