In Memoriam .... (NF)

Gerritt

Six years ago today I was on the receiving end of OFC's generosity.. I was 26 and was just starting out.. That is when tragedy struck..

My 2 year old son because ill and died within 24 hours.. The cause of death was determined to be E. Coli Exactly where it came from still remains a mystery...

Being young (and broke) I was completely unprepared for something of this magnitude to have happen to us...It was then a good friend (Spiel) stepped up to help a young family out, OFC'rs from all over North America sent him what they could afford and ultimately allowed us to be able to afford to bury our precious child...

Hard to believe it has been 6 years.. it seems like only yesterday I was holding, hugging and being a father to him.

He is burned into my mind and is thought about multiple time daily, most of the time with a smile now... but sometimes in sorrow too... especially when I see Liams accomplishments.

To everyone on OFC I personally thank you for helping a young family when they needed support the most.

Give your kids extra hugs and kisses today, spend some time fishing or playing catch... because nothing in this life is promised or guaranteed.

Humbly,

Gerritt.

I remember that sad day very well Bud, and it was indeed touching to see how the members of this wonderful board came together to stand with you and your family and offer you any support we could.

I think it was perhaps the 1st time OFC actually came together as one to help out one of our own members and it's a tradition that's come to be the norm around here now.

Gerritt, you were also one of the 1st members to offer me support when I faced a similar tragedy only a couple years later and I'll always remember that too.

HE ONLY TAKES THE BEST

Many times we've missed you,

A million times we've cried.

If love could have saved you,

You never would have died.

It breaks our hearts to lose you,

But you did not go alone.

For a part of us went with you

The day God called you home.

We did not see you suffer,

There was no cure to be.

He closed his arms around you,

And whispered come to me.

For all that you went through,

He saw you needed rest.

God's garden must be beautiful,

for He only picks the Best.

i wish i couldve written this

peter

As a father of three Daughters and now a Grandson Tuesday, You can never know how much worried of their Health and Well Being especially when I was alone and far from home. Gerritt I really feel for you going through a parents worst Nightmare. One last thing, I admire your strength to go through that.

G., it was before my joining as well, but I'm saddened by knowing this and hope that you and your family has strength on this day. Also wishing you and your family great memories.

Personally, I don't think I would have your strength to get through it all.

Stan

Hang in there Bud,

No one should have to go through the kind of loss you've endured.

Its little comfort but its all I Have to offer....the Strength it takes to keep your head up and feet moving is admirable.

Try and enjoy your day, and keep those tender memorys positive.

I remember reading your post vividly that day Gerritt...couldn't believe my eyes...and the outpouring of love and affection from all your OFC friends...

To me, that was the day that OFC became family...

Gerritt.

I cant even begin to imagine what you've been through. I don't know where I'd get the strength from to go on, but you did. OFC means many things to different people, but I for one am glad that it's far more than just a fishing board. It's a glimpse into eachothers lives...both the good and the bad...to celebrate successes and to mourn and support after loss.

We're thinking of you today Gerritt...you'll get through it, and be a stronger person.

Hey G I cant imagine how difficult this is for you. Its wired how life works but we need to take it as it comes. I wish you all the best sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there bud you'll be in my thoughts.

Edited by silvio

This all happened before I got to know you well Gerritt. I also cannot imagine the pain it caused you and your family.

But you are a strong willed man and pulled yourself through it. I will say a prayer or two tonight for your loved one.

wow Gerritt, I had no idea dude....

My daughter's never been sick in the two years since she's been born and reading this has really put into perspective how much I take it for granted. Thanks for the life lesson learned. You're family is in our thoughts today...I only wish I was around to lend my support six years ago.

Ryan