Fall walleye tactics

Radnine

I was just reading up on fall walleye fishing (I am heading up to Big Doe the week after Thanksgiving) in an article from this forum (Toughing Out the Turnover: Fall Walleye Tactics, By Tim Allard, October 2004) and a “jig and grub tipped with a minnow” was mentioned as a lure to use. My question is: What is this supposed to represent? Does the walleye think that it is a minnow eating a grub (does the walleye think at all) or what? And, if you use a scented grub, is there a need for the live bait to scent the rig?

Also, will the “turnover” have taken place by then, or should walleyes still be where they were the last time I was there (the lake does have some deep bits)?

Thanks all!

Jim

my guess is it looks like a wounded minnow darting around when you jig it,

the jig and grub combo works very well for all kinds of fish,adding the minnow just helps entice them a little more thats all,no minnow is just as good.

here on Quinte my bud and i jig with sassy shads 3",and they look like minnows,ive seen us outfish guys beside us using a jig and real minnow,how you present your bait is the whole key,you know color,how fast you jig,try jigging a little faster for those walleyes.....it gets them fired up

my 3 cents

P.S. if the eyes were relating to structure (a shoal,rockey point) the last time you were there id go back there,they will stay there all year if the shoal is near deep water.

givem heck :thumbsup_anim:

Hawg Hunter

The jig just helps present the minnow to the walleye.

Once water temperatures go below 50 degrees walleyes will start to head into the deepest holes looking to feed on bait fish to fatten up for the winter. We have our best luck using a ice fishing Rapala tipped with a large minnow from the treble hook. Here's what we like in COLD fall water walleye fishing.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...la-search_redir

Doesn't really matter what the jig/minnow represents, only that it works LOL!

In my experience larger minnows in the 4-5" range work best in the fall, normally I'll lip hook them on a bare jig head.

When using minnows this large a stinger hook is an absolute must otherwise many fish will be lost.

My guess is that yes, the lake will most likely be turned over. It took me many years to really figure out fall walleye on shield lakes once fall turnover happened. It can be a very frustrating game. The best advice I can give is fish deep.

On my home lake I've found that sand or clay flats in the 40' range are the best spots.

Yes fall walleye will make brief feeding forays into shallow water especially at dusk in my experience, but generally they stack up on deep flats.

Extremely fast breaking shorelines falling into deep water can also be good.

You cannot fish this way blindly. You must utilise a graph with the sensitivity pumped up as much as possible and slowly search likely areas 'till pods of fish are found.

Once found drop down the jig and minnow. If winds are light and in a favourable direction you can simply drift fish.

If you're drifting too fast a wind sock or even a bucket will slow you down.

I normally use a bowmount electric and watch the graph to keep right on top of the fish which are usually pretty tightly schooled.

When fishing this deep 2 things are a must: one, you need a rod with stiffness and sensitivity, and two, you must use some kind of braided line. If you don't many hits and hooksets will be missed as mono is too spongy in such deep water.

One last tip, many times ice fishing lures (various heavy jigging spoons or horizontal type minnow baits) run clean with no bait are deadly on these deep water fish.

If you do fish deep be especially careful reeling the fish in, if you do it too quickly their air bladders will pop out of their mouths...

Good luck!