Last Open Water report for a while....

K.C.

Glad I got out a couple of weeks ago before the bitter stuff hit.

After not fishing for quite some time due to the lack of ice here in Southern Ontario, I had an itch that desperately needed to be scratched. My buddy and I discussed everything from Walleye, Perch, Whitefish and even river Steelies. After some time he told me that if we're willing to travel a bit he's got a spot on that produces plenty of browns on Jerkbaits. I didn't need to hear it twice and we were set to go. We launched the boat and off we went. It didn't take him long to explain to me again why his nick name is "Maestro". On his third cast twitching a jerkbait back while I was still setting up he nails this beautiful little guy. He was about to toss it back because he insisted that there would be bigger ones to follow but that sounded like a hex I've told a few of my friends so I made him pose against his will.

Nothing like a Brown during sunrise....

drewlittle_brownresize.jpg

He continued to take me to school and all I had caught up until now was a roughly 1lb Shad until I switched up baits and produced this little guy. Took a close up shot of this beauty little football to spare you all from looking at my ugly mug....

little_brown_closeup.jpg

It continued like this for quite some time. We used both Jerkbaits and three way rigs and managed around 20 little browns like the ones above.

Something went terribly wrong though and both of us lost browns boatside that were well over 7lbs. Sort of left us scratching our heads but that's fishing I guess. We also caught quite a few Drum. Here is Drew with one of them....

maestro_drum_entry2.jpg

Then things got interesting. We head out to a Sandbar in the middle of no where. Well after seeing all the baitfish on this thing I decided to try "match the hatch" and tossed out an Excalibur "Jimmy Houston" Rattle Trap that has caught me a few Pike in the past. On my second cast my rod almost gets torn out of my hands. I manage to bring the fish boatside and see that it is only hooked by one hook on the last Treble. Drew is reaching for it and I yell at him "Get your hand away from there!!!....It's about to spit it!!!!" Just as he pulled back the bait came flying out of the fishes mouth. We both gave each other "That Look". You guys know that "Look"...... It's the look of a day that should have been one for the books but somehow all the trophy fish seem to come off right within reach. Oh well we have a good chuckle and without giving it a second thought I toss out to the exact same spot. Two cranks and my rod doubles over again. "How does it feel?" he asks....I grunt back "Not as big as the last one" .

I spoke too soon because soon as he got a good look at it he shouts "Big fish dude....big fish!!!" This fish is brought boatside and again Drew reaches to gill the fish but this time the fish is hooked much better and he grabs it and brings it to the boat. What a great surprise. Took two quick pictures and put her back where she took off super strong. My heart was thumping pretty good .

lohvresize.jpg

Good fishing to all in 2007!

Ya gotta luv nice fat pike !!.......VERY nice !!

Thank you Lew.

Nice report! I wouldnt have even considered throwing a rattle trap in 30 something degree water, probably not even below 50.

Fishing rattletraps in cold water/weather is nothing new. A friend put me onto this pattern around 14 years ago. They can be fished effectively in cold water and almost as slow as a HuskyJerk in deeper water with a Jerk and drop retrieve. Both fish hit it on the drop.

great report and pics... :thumbsup_anim: thanks for sharing,that sure was a heavy duty day of fishing guys. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim: any day that you can get into some big browns is a day for remebering, and that is one nice fat northern,i love the fight of a big pike....love those reel burns..zzzzzzzzzzzzz cheers