GPS/Sonar Combo

skrillaguerilla

Which model would you get? I am trying to shop for christmas stuff and i wanted to get my friend a new sonar for his 21' boat. He uses it primarily for downrigging the great lakes, but sometimes it finds it's way into smaller inland lakes for other fish.

It has to have a Sonar and GPS and a colour screen. We have had good luck with Humminbird and Lowrance units but I am open to any suggestions. I am looking for the best value for my money. Considering i use a Humminbird 200dx, i am a little out of date on my fishfinder product knowledge.

Thanks guys :)

I have used Hummnbirds 997's and 1197's which are all top of the line and above what you're looking to spend, BUT I personally own a 595c which is in your price range and in my opinion just as good as they're souped up counterparts. Minus the fact that is has a smaller screen and NO side imaging, to me it does everything that the high end 997's and 1197's can do, and just as good.

good luck with your search!

UF

I have a as new Eagle 500C Elite color/gps unit I used 4 times,I sold my boat and buyer didn't want to pay the extra for it.$500.00 and a Navionics gold chip great Lakes and Eastern Canada (and all surrounding waterways) $175.00

Ebay it dude I just sold my Lowrance package with chip on there no problems

I was toiling all summer about which one to buy and finally settled on the Lowance522c W/IGPS. This unit has more features than I will ever use. :lol: . Can't wait to get the navionics chip for it.

That's the one we have. We have two maps for it, it's awesome. it's also networkable, which means next spring when I get another 520 head unit for the bow I can just add it to the existing unit and away I go, no need for another transducer or GPS antenae

I am very versed in sonar/GPS units and the Lowrance LMS 520 or 522 unit is probably not only your best buy but also the best choice.

The 520c has a optional GPS antenna that I prefer. The 522c unit is the EXACT unit but has a built in GPS antenna that "could" present reception problems depending on the units installation. Also with the 522 unit you CANNOT link multiple unit together to share the same GPS antenna. This could be a HUGE disadvantage down the line because the units cost the exact same in the initial investment.

Take a good look here at Lowrance units. You may even decide to get a LARGER screen unit.

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Marine...plotter-Combos/

Don't forget the unlimited mapping card available for all of these units. I have 3 different mapping cards and they are INCREDIBLE for detail, especially on lakes you have never been on. This really evens the playing field with the locals. :)

Another option, and the one I went with myself, is 2 seperate units.

Rather than having a combo unit, which gives you a fairly small screen for both the GPS & sonar when you split them to see both sides at once, you'll still have a full screen on both units which to me anyways, gives a much better look at what's going on.

My sonar is 5" and the GPS is 7"

Just another thought for you.

Cnv0108.jpg