Quinte... Line Question

Gerritt

The time has come for me to reline my Daiwa Sealine 47's for the upcoming Quinte G2G... Just wondering what line you guys are running? I have 12lb Big Game on the reels now.. and have brutal line twist due to poor quality swivels while trolling spoons..

I realize everyone might have a different answer to the question but I would like to get a feel of what you guys are spooled up with.

Thanks!

G

Really depends on what your pulling..

in the reach

15lb Fireline if flat lineing

25 Big game on riggers. I like what Wayne said might try that next time I respool

20lb led core with spider wire connector

I know the others might go lighter for the line, but my rods are multi use, walleye and salmon too expensive to respool per species

Well G, I know that if you wanted my opinion, you would have asked for it! LOL

I beleive that anything under 15lb test is too light for pulling inline boards! I defy anyone to prove to me that running lighter line does anything but create a situation where you will loose your fish and your lure, maybe your board and in turn, kill a trophy!

The boards simply put too much pressure on your line and you will not have enough back bone left when that massive Sheep Head hammers your crank.

HH

15lb power pro and mono leader is all i have been running for 8 years now down in the bay. thin line alows your bait to travel deeper and with the no strech power pro you can watch your lure action at the tip of the rod and tell if it has picked up a weed or not. walmart has power pro on for $14

Hello Gerritt,

I like to run co-polymer line as it has the perfect composition for trolling. I has a little bit of stretch so you do not rip the hooks from the soft tissue on walleyes mouths and has a very then diameter and excellent strength. My line of choice is the P-Line cx premium in moss green in 12lb as it has the same circumference as 10lb mono line. No tying floro leaders and no problems with the line slipping in planner board clips. ;)

Good quality 10 to 12 pound line is all you need, I have never had a break off or lost boards in the last five years of running P-line, as an example over the past few weeks on these same line setups I have landed a 20 pound chinook and 36" musky and numerous 10lb class walleye.

Have fun at Quinte...

-sheldon

sheldonhatch.com

Edited by eye-tracker

I say go for the p-line as well.I run 12lbs p-line with a 20lbs 15ft floro leader and seams to work well for me.Some in line boards have problems running braid.I run the Church walleye boards and if you want to run braid these boards work well.They even have an adjustable keel wieght for different diving lures to keep the board running true. Make sure to run an inline swivel about 2ft from your lure so if the board slides down the line it wont knock off your trophy fish.

Dan

Same here sheldon,i only run 10lb. trilene big game,on all 4 of my in-line board rods,and i have never had a problem with lost fish,or breakage,and thats what the trolling bible uses for all the lure dive-curves,and is dead on the money !!!! hey gerritt we were talking about that last year at out quinte g2g !!!

I agree with Sheldon, the P-line is really excellent line and you dont need a flourocarbon leader. After being out with him and using his equiptment I noticed a huge difference so I have now switched all my trolling reels to P-line. I have not had one break off this year and have landed some very nice fish including two skis , one over 40" and so far this year me and my fishing partner have landed several big eyes over 8# with relative ease.

The bible also has a calculator for other pound test line... Hmmm, a double digit eye, an in-line planner board and a Mann stretch 30, 200 ft back... enjoy yer ten and twelve pound line boys... just hope that crank is set nicely in it's mouth... cause the slightest knick and say good bye to a $12.00 lure and an in-valuable breeder.

HH

The bible also has a calculator for other pound test line... Hmmm, a double digit eye, an in-line planner board and a Mann stretch 30, 200 ft back... enjoy yer ten and twelve pound line boys... just hope that crank is set nicely in it's mouth... cause the slightest knick and say good bye to a $12.00 lure and an in-valuable breeder.

HH

Having caught many double didgit eyes myself and been with several other seasoned Quinte hog hunters , I have never seen or had one break off or lost a crank using 10lb to 12lb line. I have however had to replace several hooks from them being bent out of shape though.

You just have to have the drag set properly. Not to loose but just enough so the fish can peel some drag if she decides to run and contrary to popular belief they do run or just decide to stay where they are and you cant move them.

I was of the same thinking as HH when I first started fishing Quinte but quickly realized you dont need thick braid. Each to his own, braid is fine but make sure you have a long flouro lead attatched and make sure your drag is fairly loose because it does not stretch and will just rip the hooks out of the fishes mouth if there is no give.

In fishing the BOQ for to many years and can't really count the amount of double digit eye's I have caught 10-12 mono usually xt or big game have worked perfect for me with my boards, never lost any equipment or fish for that matter it's all in selecting the correct rod for the application and setting your drag and playing the fish properly

I use 12lb P-Line which was suggested by Sheldon last fall and I'm "hooked" on that line!!....I was out with Don (Badger Shark) last year and we pulled in some pretty big gals including a huge pike out of the Bay with no probs whatsoever!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter