Question of ethics or stupidity? (NF)

Gerritt

Today on the commute from work, travelling down the 407 I saw the usual drivers toting boats, ATV's etc... This time however there was something added as a bonus.. Moose carcass's.. Yup right out in full view.., no attempt to cover the animal was made.. Antlers, faces.. all in full view for passing motorists.. there was more then one vehicle involved in the procession as well.... One fellow had the head of his kill strapped to the back rack of his ATV...

While I myself have zero issue with the site of a dead moose.. (mmmmm Moooooooooose)

I wonder... do we invite attacks from the anti's based upon this type behaviour? Do the sissies in Toronto want to see such a thing?

would the proper thing to do have included tarping the animal so as to not bother those with weak stomachs?

It was comical looking at the faces of other motorists to saw the least as they passed these fellows..

Tell me your thoughts on this subject..

G

Edited by Gerritt

We did??? Dang.. We better get the Google thing-a-mah-jig installed soon!! I miss beating dead horses... Want to see the monster Pike my buddy caught on Lake Simcoe?

LOL!

Made for a funny trip home though!!

G

Edited by Gerritt

It would not bother me either. But I would have tarped the carcass. 10% of us hunt, 10% are actively opposed to it and 80% of the population sits in the middle and don't care one way or the other. It's up to us not to shift them over to the anti's side. Because they will vote hunting out of existance if we allow it.

Edited by hammercarp

Humm, never knew it still existed, As a Kid growing up in Mtl I always seen Moose Heads strapped to the Top of a car as a trophy to show off. Yea show off. A neighbor would leave it on his car for a few days driving around our town. Do you wonder why they keep the head. It doesn't bother me to say the least, but what bothers me in to days world is there is no reason not to cover it up but only to show it off. I never moose hunted but I seen a buddy of mine with Buck Fever and blasted the seat in my Brother in Laws truck grabbing his rifle from behind the seat. No telling whats in these peoples minds.

Edited by holdfast

Gerritt,

Being a deer hunter myself, go throught the same reaction that you have experience today every year. For the past ten years, we've transported our animals in the back of a pickup truck without being covered with a tarp simply because we don't want the meat to heat up and go to waste.

The laws from the MNR, in my case Quebec, allows a hunter to transport any big game animal onto any vehicules as long as the proper transport coupon is attched to the animal. MNR do specify in their regulations to use better judgment as to how to transport any animal but does not in any way prevent you from displaying your catch.

We always got a mix signal reaction from people when we drove into the city, some gave us the thumbs up and some the discusting look but we don't parade for ever. Once we get to our destination, the animal is prep up for butchering just like cows and pigs and chickens etc....

Once we finish, every member of the group goes back home with meat for the freezer and part of the winter.

Like I said in the beginning, the animal is out in eyes vue for one reason only, so that the meat does not heat which would happen under a tarp.

Leechman

A couple of years ago, my neighbour across the street took down a bull moose and brought it home. The carcass in the bed of his truck and the head tied to the roof. He was quite proud of it and drove around for a couple of days with it up there. Didn't bother me, I congratulated him on his success. Not sure how others felt although my wife asked me one night "Why is Bill driving around with a moose head on his truck". Just told her it was a guy thing and she never said another word.

Then again G, we live in St. Thomas :P

Most society's hunted for subsistance..

These Trailer Park Heroes have a bit to learn about respect for the animals they were fortunate to harvest.

The guys care more about the rack than the meat.

Even Neanderthal man would have shown more Class.

It's really too bad some people look at hunting with disdain. I'm not real keen on guys that hunt for trophy's only but it is their right. If a big buck comes along while I'm hunting it's going down but if I'm going to put meat in the freezer a fawn or a yearling is much better to eat.

It's becoming progressively harder as we go to maintain our hunting and fishing rights. So do we hide what we do or advertise it?

We are becoming a smaller percentage of the population and our rights as hunters and fishermen will eventually be taken away by those that oppose it.

It's still legal to carry a gun uncased down the street here. But not many do it anymore.

Dad used to take his gun to school to hunt on the way home.

well I saw them driving down the road on the back of a truck in full view a dead pumpkin ....that's right a dead pumpkin

now not just any pumpkin but I think it was a world record pumpkin..I mean big

and there it was dead and out on display for everyone to see.........god couldn't they cover it I mean don't all gods creations deserve the same loving care and respect..........

yeah.............if they want to display their pumpkins or moose ........I say go for it....we are gatherers and hunters by nature

and all men like to let everyone know they have scored.........