What has happened to the salmon on Manitoulin Island

Reel Trouble

What has happened to the salmon on Manitoulin Island ,especially in Providence Bay.... , For 4 weeks of fishing in our waders off from the creek nothing has come up absolutely nothing

We just came back today, again nothing absolutely nothing,,,not even dead carcasses anywhere

I have been fishing there over 30 years and I never imagined that this would happen,,So what are we going to blame this to Zebra mussels, coromonts,Lampreys, the level of the water Or The Ontario Government for not stocking the Great Lakes

I always thought that the fees from our licences paid for restocking the great lakes?? Yes or No???

Edited by Reel Trouble

I always thought that the fees from our licences paid for restocking the great lakes?? Yes or No???

When the Govt. of the day introduced fishing licenses they said that the money would indeed go into the Ministry. What they didn't say was that existing monies would go elsewhere. It was typical political crap. What Ontario ended up with was less money + reduced enforcement + reduced stocking. Just ask Chronzy, he knows!!!!!! :angry:

......or The Ontario Government for not stocking the Great Lakes

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! The MNR stocks ZERO chinook salmon anymore, none, nada, zilch. Nobody in the Ontario gov't gives a hoot about Pacific Salmon. The end of Pacific Salmon fishing in Ontario is foreseable in the next ten years. There is some natural reproduction possible, but those areas have been declared off limits in favour of the more "glamorous" species.

BTW-- I think I remember you guys from last year, two scruffy lookin' biker types that stopped by for a chat.

Manitoulin9-29034.jpg

It was pretty sad all over last year too, I can remember when there'd be 50 guys shoulder-shoulder fishing the creek going into Providence......pretty sad state of affairs now.

Manitoulin9-29036.jpg

Even at Bridal Veil there were only two, tiny fish that made it up the river. You can just barely make them out, this pool used to get stuffed with fish.

Picture097.jpg

St Mary's river seems to be doing fine but overall it's a bad year and I bet next year could be worse. Take a look at the environmental conditions a few years ago when the fish were just starting out and you may find some answers.

The government doesn't run the hatcheries anymore. Without the sporting clubs, that keep places like Ringwood alive, there would be no added fish stocks in L. Ontario.

Sarnia's club used to run a hatch for L Huron. Is it still running? Walleye are stocked in Nippising by a group of lodge operators who know where their bread is buttered.

Some stocking of various tribs on Huron were stopped after it was found certain groups were netting in the tribs.

wow I had no idea it was in such bad shape. My first ever encounter with a salmon was in grade 9 of highschool, only 12 years ago and it was at bridal veil falls. I had never ever in my life seen so many giant giant fish in 1 place at 1 time in my life. It was crazy. I couldn't believe my eyes. Right then and there I had it set in my mind that I'd catch one some day. It wasn't until 12 years later that I hooked into my first one at the mouth of the credit river on the shore's of the big "o".

Total bummer man.... I should try to dig up some photos from that school trip...

Interesting. I fished Michael's bay last weekend and had no success. Not a bite. While standing on the creek shore though I did see a few salmon swimming up. The creek had closed for fishing the day before and was posted as such so I did not dip a line in the creek. It was tempting though considering all the poor fishing I experienced this summer, mostly for pickerel. Ramsey Lake, 4x Georgian Bay, 3x High falls lake, 2x Michal's Bay, 2x Spanish River, 3x . Not all hot spots I realize but geee. Are there any fish left? I'm going to move back to McKenzie Island on Red Lake if this keeps up. See www.redlakefallclassic.com/

I purchased a new boat package in the spring as I have had to retire from work on doctor's orders. But in all of our outings (about a dozen now) the kids and I have caught only about four fish. Usually using worms and jigs, small spoons etc etc etc. Beautifull scenery and great days but poor fishing. My kids are refusing to go fish with me now. Too boring. No fish.