Silver Bass

oates

Hi all,

Went to Rice Lake (rented a boat) on Monday, it was my 3rd time doing so, in three trips, I have caught a yellow perch (yes, one little fish), I was watching people out on the lake getting nothing but clean lures. I don't know, I find Rice Lake is a small lake with too much pressure maybe, but the fishing there really sucks and aparently, there are few bass this year which is alarming for the future.

On another note, I have been fishing the rivers and I enjoy it much more (even though the fish are smaller I guess), I went to the Thames in London yesterday and nabbed some Silver Bass (White Bass), I knew they existed in Ontario but I thought maybe up north as I never caught them before. Me and the wife grabbed 2 small mouth and three silver bass, I had the wadders on so I was able to move around, found some deep pools and threw a small gold minnow (rappala) and grabbed what I think is 2lb+ (see pic). Couldn't believe the size of them, I then cast in the same spot and bang, caught another one exactly the same size. I knew they were bigger than what I ususally catch (started fishing this summer, never caught over 2lb), they felt heavy on the line but were kinda like Walleye, you know they are there but they don't fight too much just try to drag the lure down. I have attached a pic. Let me know what you guys think, the Silver Bass is a nice looking fish.

I also like rivers because you can move around areas that motorized boats can't, it is very peaceful and much muckier work that the avg. guy won't want to do (get muddy and wet sometimes) but it is rewarding, got 5 walleye on in 1hr on the Grand on Sat. really weak exp. on lakes, enjoying the rivers.

CIMG0653.jpg

Edited by oates

Great eating - if ya eat them fresh. Not too good if you freeze them and cook them later.

I have to disagree about the fight. You get them in the right water temp and they really give you a run for your money.

Dude... please tell me you are NOT eating fish out of the Thames!!!!!! You can get away with eating Pickereyes out of that river in the spring, but eating "resident" fish out of that river will not lead to long term health IMHO!!!!

RE: eating "Silver Bass/White Perch... other will say differently, but I have tried them and would not do so again!

HH

White Bass are schooling nomadic fish, you can catch them in one spot today and they may be 5 miles away tomorrow! They typically chase baitfish and push them up into shallow water to massacre the school!

For those that find that Temperate Bass have a strong taste, there's a way to clean them that will do away with the strong taste.

The blood and lateral line of these fish is what gives it the strong taste. It is best to gut the fish first and scrape the artery that runs along the underside of the spine in the organ cavity of the fish, then fillet and remove the skin with the fillet knife... after removing the skin you will see the dark red lateral line on the skin side of the fillet, use your fillet knife to cut a "V" into the fillet... one angled cut on each side of the red lateral line, this will leave you with a nice white piece of fish that is as mild as any fish!

Try it! you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Those are pretty good size for white bass!

Personally, i've never ate them or will from the Great Lakes system.

The Thames does't sound much better.

Here is a picture of one that is about the max size in Ontario.

IMG_0012-4.jpg

White Bass are schooling nomadic fish, you can catch them in one spot today and they may be 5 miles away tomorrow! They typically chase baitfish and push them up into shallow water to massacre the school!

For those that find that Temperate Bass have a strong taste, there's a way to clean them that will do away with the strong taste.

The blood and lateral line of these fish is what gives it the strong taste. It is best to gut the fish first and scrape the artery that runs along the underside of the spine in the organ cavity of the fish, then fillet and remove the skin with the fillet knife... after removing the skin you will see the dark red lateral line on the skin side of the fillet, use your fillet knife to cut a "V" into the fillet... one angled cut on each side of the red lateral line, this will leave you with a nice white piece of fish that is as mild as any fish!

Try it! you'll be pleasantly surprised!

This seems to work to take the strong taste away from lots of different fish. Oh by the way that is not an artery it functions as a kidney in filtering the blood. Which is probably why removing it right away helps.

The ones I caught years ago by the old lakeview generating station were fun to catch and were the only fish biting but when I cleaned one a greyish mustardy puss flowed out and holy !!! was that ever an awful smell!

Edited by Wild