Temagami in September 2008

irishfield

In September we did some exploring and hiking with our neighbours (from Campfire Island across from us) Doug and Anita. With the summer winding down it was great to get out for some exercise and to get to know these two better. They've sold their homes in North Bay and have moved up to the lake permanently. Doug's on cloud nine.. Anita a tad hesitant wondering about the wait for safe ice in the fall and ice out in the spring to get off their Island.

8sept1.jpg

Doug scared the crap out of me one night pretending he ran into my airplane with his pontoon boat... so we pranked him back. Stole his Scotish Standard and put up 'ol Jolly Roger. Good for some laughs with the rest of the neighbourhood over the three days it took them to notice it.

8sept2.jpg

Labour Day weekend the youngest (20) came up with her boyfriend to try again at the canoe trip thing. This time they limited their travels to as far as the broom islands (THANK GOD!)

8sept3.jpg

Another tree in a terrible place. Why do people let this kinda stuff even start to grow? Of course this one leaned back over the work shed, had a very small window to be dropped in and was another rope down to the water and leah pulling with the boat trick.

8sept4.jpg

Success with only one shingle broken off the rear entrance to the cottage.

8sept5.jpg

Now with the tree down I have next years project. Rebuilding the back entrance/wood storage area. Put a new roof on it last year.. now I need to rebuild and side the rest..... and then I think the place is done! YA RIGHT.

8sept7.jpg

On Labour Day my buddy from Elmvale, Joe Dyer, dropped in. Didn't even hear him pull up to the dock and spotted him half way up the steps. He was on his way back from Kesagami of all places.

8sept8.jpg

8sept9.jpg

We shot the bull for awhile and with the heat of the day decided he'd better get back in the air for home before the thunderstorms decided to build.

8septa.jpg

Next morning Leah and I decided to enjoy the fact that summer had finally arrived (high of 31C) and went out in search of some Lakers.

8septb.jpg

Leah came up with another little fella. Like I keep saying... great to see the reproduction... but a monster would sure be nice by now! LOL

8septc.jpg

We got out again the next day and while I was setting the lines this boat kept coming at us and not turning. I said to Leah does this :asshat: not see us? Turned out it was a long time customer of mine. I built this guys airplane the first time in 1996.. again in 1997 and again in 2004! lol He got it in his mind to come to Temagami and visit. Drove around Temagami looking for a boat rental and got one from Temagami Shores for $40 ! When we weren't at the cottage they went back to town.. got some subs and went on a tour of the NE Arm. They never saw us on the way West... but luckily spotted us on the way back to town. He'd seen my boat once in the hangar and thought he recognized it.. and was right. Pretty brave for a couple of 70+ year olds. This is the exact spot I was hammering thru 6+ foot swells last year on my way to get our daughter and her canoing friends!

8septd.jpg

While they were along side.... I thought I had a good fish on! This thing fought like crazy being snagged perfectly dead center.

8septe.jpg

Then the weather went back to crap and about a week later we headed up the North Arm to give them lakers another try. Almost came up empty and at the very end of the "trough" in front of the Rabbit Nose Bluffs I got this little guy. He was lively so back he went to swim somemore... but I sure wished I'd kept him to eat. Something we never got to dine on this year.

8septf.jpg

Things are coming to an end when this happens and it's a depressing job. Vacuum out all the lines and gift wrap her for spring.

8septg.jpg

8septh.jpg

Two days before we headed home I finally got up the nerve to go out and land (and attempt to take off) on Brown's Lake for stocked Specks. All I took with me was my fly rod and an ultralight spinning rod. I get to the lake expecting to do a curved approach and landing slide around three islands on the lake... and low and behold there are two boats fishing right in that path. Figured I'd leave them to their peace and tranquility and headed off to the North. Now to find a lake with something in it that I was prepared for with light rods. I took a shot at Jackpine Lake... but nothing was happening there but a whole lake to myself. I think even the fish had gone somewhere else.

8septi.jpg

8septj.jpg

Hope I didn't bore you with all that. Going back up on the 15th or 16th of October for about a week or 10 days to close the place up, blow the water lines out etc and I guess to fish for pike and pickeral. Lakers are now closed.

Edited by irishfield

I anxiously awaited the finale to this series. You certainly have had a busy summer. A full time job those camps are, albeit an enjoyable venture. Kudos to you and your wife for living the dream. I can only bide my time (and live vicariously through others!) while amassing sufficient resources to buy my slice of heaven.

Cheers Wayne, you definitely experience a spectacular part of the province.

This is my response to all of the monthly reports... awesome!!!! Thanks for taking the time to show us all how it's done! Those of us stuck at work all summer sure do appreciate your time with family and friends... thanks for sharing!

HH

Fantastic read up on your summer Wayne, felt like I was standing in the shadows there.

Are most of the tree up there mostly evergreens? If not, I'd like to see a pic of the colorful scenery, I've never been up that way but can almost imagine the spectacular scenery.

Thanks for sharing,

Stan

Not a lot of of them "leafy" trees up there Stan. We have a fair amount of paper birch, poplars and a few hand planted maples on our island, but it's mostly stuff with needles up there (making good firewood hard to come by). The real colour of the forest is from about HWY 124 South.