(NF)...Brake Problems

Terry

I have been having trouble with my brakes

the back brake...

it seems only the front brakes are working and

when the roads are wet and slippery they lock up and slide, the back brakesdo nothing..

..I went to a local garage and told them and said it might be abs or master cylinder…..

they replace all brakes and some wheel cylinders and more…nothing with the abs or master cylinder and tell me it’s fine

and seemed that way..about 3 weeks later it rains and the same thing happens front wheels lock up and slides, back brakes do nothing…I take it back and say please fix it under warranty…..they check and tell me everything they did is working fine if the keep looking it will be my cost …..I told them where to go

so I wait till the end of the summer to find another place to fix it

I talk to a Midas tell them my story…tell them don’t check the brakes..check abs and master cylinder……yup no problem…

I take a day off work drop it off they write down what I want

And hour and a half later they call me…I need work on my front brakes back brakes are fine but could use service,,,(whatever that means) abs is fine no problems show on the puter…….oh and my wheel bearings are loose…

I Say but the back brakes don’t work..they don’t stop me…..

So I say forget it don’t do any work

They charge me for an inspection I didn’t want and ask not to do……

Over a 100 bucks……

And they rewrote the work order on computer and it stated that I asked to check why front brakes were locking up……what a rip off IMO

Midas Bradford will never see me again…………..

Now for the question

Does anyone who is a mechanic know what the problem might be …I need my truck working but can’t afford to keep pumping out money that doesn’t fix the problem

Terry, looks like there have been quite a few recalls on the truck. One specific to the problem you are having. I'd take it to the dealer and make sure all the recalls have been done...

http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2000/dodge...ta/recalls.html

Recall Date:

JUL 17, 2000

Model Affected:

2000 DODGE DAKOTA

Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PICKUP TRUCKS. SOME VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH INADEQUATE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE REAR AXLE VENT HOSE AND THE BRAKE HOSE.

Consequence:

A PUNCTURE IN THE REAR BRAKE HOSE WILL RESULT IN A LOSS OF BRAKING FORCE AT THE REAR WHEELS.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE HOSE FOR EVIDENCE OF WEAR. WORN BRAKE HOSES WILL BE REPLACED. THE REAR VENT HOSE WILL BE SHORTENED BY 3 INCHES AND A CLIP WILL BE INSTALLED TO ASSURE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE AXLE VENT LINE AND BRAKE HOSE IS MAINTAINED.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:

DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION 891

Afternoon Terry,

Looks like BillM might be on to something but if that isn't it...

What jumps out at me from your post ...happens in wet road conditions and that you have ABS. The sensors that are part of the ABS system will often send incorrect information when wet/dirty as they age or begin to fail.

The ABS light may come on and stay on for a few days (until they are dry) but the system will test fine or a really fun one.....as you are braking and almost stopped it will feel as the brakes have slipped or locked and for a moment it will feel like you are not going to stop ( it is the ABS kicking in when it shouldn't)

I am not a mechanic so I would suggest checking with one that knows your type of vehicle but a cheap way to test it out.....pull the ABS fuse. The light will come and stay on and you will have "ordinary brakes". If this fixes the problem, replace the sensors.

thanks for the offer ecmilley, I will keep it in mind...

bly, thanks..but it does the same thing if there a little stones or sand on the pavement at intersections the front locks up....

on dirt roads if I slam the brakes you can see where the front tires dig in front being locked up and the back shows no signs of stopping

anything that can make less contact with the road makes them not stop me and it's only the front brakes....

got a similar thing in my jeep terry. front-left will lock up with very little brake pedal pressure - only on the first braking attempt and only on a wet/rainy day. it's been with me for 2 years now. i've done pads,rotors,calipers in that time and no change. a theory is a rubber brake line collapsing (??).. haven't replaced those. i am aware of it and make sure to hit the brakes once as soon as i get going to 'loosen' things up before actually driving on wet days.

Edited by Raf

The 2000 Dakota was available with standard Rear Antilock or optional 4Wheel antilock.

What system does your Dakota have?

Sound kinda normal for rear antilock system with nothing in the box.

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

Raf, that could explain it

dannyboy, to tell the true I don't know, I will see if something tells me which I have

Bernie drum brakes

2 wheel drive v6

it just says abs I don't know will check

Edited by Terry

most likely a rwal system, hows doe's the brake pedal feel, mushy travels to the floor before any braking action occours, high hard pedal, or does it feel like it always have? could be something as simple as the shoe compund is to hard, porportioning valve issues or abs problems.

go unhook the 2 pin connector on the abs hydrolic control unit (if i remember right) and see the results

I don't have any brake problems for the time being but I'm posting this to let everyone know how amazed/grateful/thankful I am at all the help someone can get here. Be it for or from newbies or some of the older members. It's really great and Terry is one of those folks that I'd call a worthy recipient. Thanks everyone......it's really nice.

It's possible poor friction material quality. See this time and time again. I suspect this problem more than anything else due to the fact it only happens when wet. After a couple applications it tends to disappear. You would think a liquid would make your brakes slide but in fact oils will also make your brakes grab. Had similar problems with new F150 trucks in the late 80's. We eventually quit using OE(original equipment) pads and went to aftermarket. Recent Caravans went through a couple years of rear shoes locking on hard when wet. Solved these with quality shoes. Use only quality pads guys and gals. The deals at the chain store brake installers like to advertise low prices and they often use poor quality shoes and pads.

It could be something else Terry. Rear ABS systems are not worth the powder to blow then to hell. Lots of issues, don't know why they even bother to put them on.

Bill M. There are only 2 TSB's regarding brakes. The one you listed isn't the problem in this case. What happened to them is the two hoses rubbed together until it wore through the brake hose. Fluid would not be able to build pressure and fluid in the reservoir would leak out.

Raf. Your vehicle most likely is a friction issue as well. It would not be a hose.

Edited by Bernie

ok I did plug the 2 wire plug off the abs...I will test tomorrow

it doesn't only happen when it is wet out ...sand or grave, ice will do it too

and I do believe it does it all the time but is way more noticeable when wet because the tires can't bit into the road as well when the road is wet..........

and thanks for all the help guys, I just might get this figured out before I loose all my hair...LOL

Terry have you tried stopping with the emergency brake only? Give it a quick try at slow speed on dry pavement to get an idea of the rear stopping power if any. Also after some braking cycles pull over to a safe place and feel the drums to see if they are warm or hot this will tell you if they are working. Was midas specific as to what work needs to be done on the front brakes? Contaminated pads would cause lock up before the rear as could a badly warped rotor (s) but you would feel pedal vibration.

Thanks Bernie.. I can't fault a brake shop since I do most of my own wrenching - which may or may not be a contributing factor ;) . However, I have been guilty of cheaping out on the pads. Will try better ones next time.

pads ....worn..you can see my rims are black from on the front form the pads working so hard.....

I was going to try the emer brake but I never use it and it would be nasty if it sticks on and wouldn't be able to release it

might try it on the weekend when I have time to mess around if it locks on

If the Ebrake sticks then you have a great reason to call midas head office to file a complaint then! And everyone should make it a habit of using the ebrake once in a while and you know what trouble the OPP will make if a roadside inspection is done ;)

Try the touch test on the drums if they are cold then you need to check the line pressure and work forward to the master cylinder.

thanks Wild

I have not done any major work on brakes myself in years and I know nothing about ABS

but I have seen, way back when, where the front brakes work the back brake don't change the master cylinder and all is well, but no one seems to say anything about the master cylinder...thought maybe they don't break down any more....

Oh master cylinders still wear out and ABS systems can seize if brake fluid is not changed when contaminated - or moisture is present.Old systems may have a faulty proportioning valve if so equipped so you never know. But this could be a simple shoe adjustment issue as well for all we know!

at least you have brakes...the brakes on my 2001 Aztec went out totally (luckily it was late at night after work in a parking lot) and i was left going...with no brakes.

Ah well, no traffic or obstacles, ill just pull the E brake carefully and shell stop right... WRONG! The piece of crap didnt work either!

Long story short...I put her in N and drove in circles untill she stopped. Probably looked like a tool, but hey we do what we can.

Thank my lucky stars every day that it didnt happen while I was on the road!

simple shoe adjustment is not the problem.....this problem has been going on for some time and I had a complete brake job and it didn't solve the problem..

without a doubt my front brakes are wearing and my back brakes are rusting a bit from lack of use

but they are the result of the problem not the cause....IMHO