musky rod

zman

I have a St.Croix Avid series rod that is my go to rod. It's actually a Meduim heavy Flipping stick style with the telescopic part that slides into the handle. I have converted many of my Musky Buddies to it!! It's 7' 10" fully extended and less than 7' collapsed. Great for figure 8's.

FT

Edited by Fishn Technishn

avid series st. croix line of muskie rods has been discontinued for a few years. your choices are either premiere or the uber 'spensive legend line. the compres are nice as well. check out the new okuma muskie series too. a little over half the price of st. croix/shimano. not a fan of the maina rods. 7'6" is a good length if you only plan on having one rod. generealy speaking, the calcutta 251 is too small.

i use 2 8'6" rods, an 8', a 7'6", a 7' and 6'9" for casting and have a dedicated 8' for trolling. abu 7001s, abu 6501c3s and quantum cabo cbc31pts reels.

read this thread and try out the search, topic gets covered 10x a week.

I like the St Croix Premier PM80MHF as an all purpose rod, which is available at Bass Pro Shops for around $200. They are made in the USA and just have that quality feel to them. The 8ft length makes figure eights a lot easier, and the easier they are the more inclined you are to do them on every cast (or at least a half eight), and more figure eights equals more fish. Simple as that. The lure weight of this rod is 3/4 - 3 oz which will have you covered most of the time - except maybe for Pounders :rolleyes: I have never used a Compre rod, but in looking at the specs, I would be inclined to go with the CPCM80H.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.a...mp;section=spin

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/gl...ie_casting.html

Why don't you stop by JB's on Ronson Dr. in Etobicoke (Kipling and the 401 area) Store carries several brands in various $$$ ranges.

You can then compare them at you leisure, what works for one person, may not work for you.

Smart shopping will give you two rods, one for casting and one for trolling.

BPS carries a 'catfish' rod 9' great trolling rod, under (90$) This is a graphite/glass compound with a fast tip and a stout heavy butt section.(you will find it in thesalmon or musky rod section of the store)

For trolling, I would definitely up size the reel. I like the Okuma convector line counter series, two of my buddies use Shimano Tekota line counters.

Remember that for trolling musky size baits, you will need at the least 100# test braid, and a minimum of 80# fluoro leaders. Large musky baits are very hard on your tackle.

What it comes down to is what you are comfortable with and $$$s and how strong you interest in musky hunting ( you will become addicted)

good luck

just JOHN

Why don't you stop by JB's on Ronson Dr. in Etobicoke (Kipling and the 401 area) Store carries several brands in various $$$ ranges.

just JOHN

I was at JB's yesterday, they are waiting for the new Shimano's to come in so I could not get the musky rod I wanted. Still this is the Musky store you should go to if in the Toronto area.