Annual Upper Niagara musky G2G

lew

It's still a longs ways off, but myself & Squid always finish off the musky season with a trip to the Upper Niagara the last Saturday of the season, which this year will be December 13th.

We always post it here beforehand and get a few OFNers to join us, usually anywhere from 3-6 boats, and we always have an excellent day and finish it of with supper somewhere on the way home.

Like I say, it's still a couple months away yet, but I'm just giving everyone a heads up and if your boats still in the water & you think you'd like to join us you can mark it on your calander as a reminder.

It's always a great day and we'll post it again as the time gets closer.

Just don't forget your ice chopper for the boat ramp :Gonefishing:

We'll probably give it a shot again this year too Lew. As I recall, the last time we did go, didn't he temp rise to about 10+ degrees. It was a lovely day out there on the water in December :thumbsup_anim:

And I think Rizzo is right, a fish will be caught this year :lol:

Joey

I remember that day Joey, 2 years ago I think ??

We've also seen it so cold that the harbour at the marina is frozen solid and we have to launch over at Frenchmans Creek cause thats the only place where the river current is strong enough to prevent the ice from forming.

As rizzo says......brrrrr I'm cold just thinking about it hahaha

Yeah I think I might give this a go this year and see if we can boat a shark

will you be posting maps to the launches as the day draws near.

Im having way to much fun at the moment boating big pike

Just a side note on the above statment all big pike the last 4 weeks have been on JUMLAs and nothing else not from lack of trying either

Peter

I should be able to join in as well with my boat,I don't put the boat "away" for the winter :) ... I can see the Upper from my driveway as I live like 2 blocks away from the Upper Niagara and only a couple minutes drive of the boat ramps, I can keep tabs on the conditions for everyone no probs..the ramp at the marina will most likely be closed however as this is the first year opened up not "Park's Commission" operated it is private now and in the "off season" since last winter it was gated and locked....there are other options depending on where everyone wants to fish though for free ramps. :Gonefishing:

brrrrrr I'm cold just thinking about it. I should be there and I bet someone will catch a fish this year too!

I know muskies would be the choice quarry for the day..but depending on weather, and where launching from, there is always a chance of ending the day at a crack at some Upper River rainbows or something too :Gonefishing:

Like I said, I will keep tabs on conditions, and can even show up a bit early to help clear the ramp, as they are pretty much all within 10-15 minutes or less from my house :)

Edited by jwl

the ramp at the marina will most likely be closed

Thanks for that info jwl, it's never been closed in December before but if it is this year, it's not a problem, we'll just head down the road to Frenchmans Creek. It's not as good a ramp but we've used it before when it was snow covered with no problems.

Just have to be sure everyone brings some sand and a shovel for the ramp if needed.

Don't worry Lew,like I said, I can easily keep tabs on conditions at all the ramps, they are minutes from my house, I always keep some sand/salt/shovel handy when I do alot of winter fishing so I can also easily show up a bit before everyone else and start working on it :Gonefishing:

If roads aren't a mess ( Towing with FWD van WITH snow tires) and someone promises to pull me out of the launch count me in . :clapping:

TB

Dave, I'd be interested in sharing the boat with you. I can tow your boat with my pick up.

John

I am pretty sure I will have room for at least 1 in my boat too..can squeeze 2 if needed if I already have a second tagging along with me the 4th guy doesn't get a comfy seat :P . will hook up 2 riggers as well for the day :Gonefishing:

Just a word of caution for those of us who have more than 100HP motors. Insurance policies require that the boat be stored from Dec 1st. So, if you use your boat after that date you have no coverage.

Looks like were gonna have an excellent turnout this year guys, guaranteed you'll all enjoy the day.

jwl, we always used to have dinner at the little restaurant at Netherby & Niagara Pkwy but they changed hands last year and it's not so good anymore, so perhaps you know of another local restaurant that could put our crew up for supper ??