14' aluminum boat, need advice on brand that doesnt leak

viper

Hoping someone can provide experiences they've had on aluminum boat. I am looking to buy my first fishing boat, 14 footer. I cant afford a new one so used is ok. I have heard that many aluminum boats can leak and since its late in the season and hope i can get a good deal, the boat i buy probably wont be in the water. i realize buyer beware but are there brands i should stay away from? any advise is appreciated. thank you

I understand Viper, but the only real way to see if a boat is "sea worthy" is by taking it out for a day... believe it or not, people will lie to you about what they're selling. I found this out the hard way when I bought my first boat, it leaked like a sieve and the motor would only run in reverse.

The best thing to do would be to pay by check and take it out on the water the day after you buy it, if it's not what the seller says it is you can can stop payment on the check and take the boat back to them... I paid cash for my first boat and that won't happen again!

Any used boat is only as good as its previous owners. Avoid any repainted hull. Often used to hide welds and patches. My son bought a used tinny for a steal $300. He then spent $300 and 40 hours resealing the hull and putting on new transom boards. For $100 more he could have bought a new car topper at BPS. He ended up ditching it for $200.

Real rude way to learn a lesson. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Boat and motor?

For the boat hull your choices are aluminum welded and aluminum riveted. Not wanting to start a debate here...there are plenty of threads here and elsewhere on the net on this.

Are you looking for a plain jane boat or a finished boat? motor?

Hey Viper, if you can not get the boat in the water, and have some time to spare, tell the seller you want to fill the bottom of the boat up with a garden hose, then crank the front end as high as you can so the water goes to the back, let it sit for 30 minutes, and inspect for leaks underneath, then lower it all the way down so the water goes to the front, then let it sit and inspect under. I know this will not show small leaks, but anything you shoudl be worried about should come through.

This worked for me in the past, and most of the time the sellers reaction to this request tells it all

PS - what money are you looking to spend??

either welded or riveted is fine IF you buy a highend boat quality wise.A high quality rivet boat is far better than a lower quality welded.I have ran glass for years but if I was buying tin it would be an Alumacraft or a Lund or Lund or Alumacraft...... well you get the idea,about the 2 best tin boats made period.Learn who makes the best tin and buy accordingly.