Port Severn Report

Rizzo

Got out in the Port Severn area on Saturday. No luck for a long time and then the fish turned on. My partner caught a nice fat 42 inch fish trolling a black bucktail with orange blade as we trolled back and forth over a deep weed edge. We were in 20 feet of water when it hit as we were heading back towards the shallower weeds. A few hundred meters later, I caught my ugliest musky to date. Here it is, a face only a mother could love. Half his face was missing, and the body was real banged up too.

gallery_130_97_6596.jpg

We caught the ugly one trolling across a rocky point, again in approx 20 feet of water. It was caught on a footlong Storm crankbait and measured in at 44 inches. Hit so hard I actually thought I had snagged bottom. Didn't even give me the telltale head shakes. We even backed up the boat to the spot only to have the fish surface beside the boat! Rather embarrassing to me as I was complaining about being snagged. I've heard of others think the same thing, but I always figured I would be able to tell the difference!

gallery_130_97_50478.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if the big fellow had an argument with a prop. We were drift trolling on the electric when we got a big thump, thump, thump. Thought I hit a snag, turned of the motor. Looked down just in time to see one big muskie hit the prop and dive. Obviously our lures weren't big enough. :lol:

Here is another picture of the same fish...didn't have time to include it in initial report. Whoever was thinking this fish may have tangled with a prop may be on to something. It was pretty banged up but seems to have healed up alright, swam away strong from its latest misfortune as well! :D

med_gallery_130_97_7740.jpg

the hit by a prop idea is no so far fetched..often for example at my trailer..boating down the lake in the mid lake open water, I spook muskies sitting on the top in the middle of nowhere..you could hit one...and in fall of 2007 while up at my trailer with a few fishing friends for a couple day mission, a big musky came and hit at my friend Bill's electric trolling motor, Bigugli was running the electrics, and they where working a weededge off from a sandy beach area when ...pathunk...!!!, he looks down to see the giant slowly swim away after not getting away with a meal :blink::Gonefishing:

We kidded around about our baits being way to small after that :o:lol:

Edited by jwl

Looks like that ole boy has had a tough life Roger, but at least you got into a couple fish.We were over on GBay Saturday but other than one follow and a couple pike that was it for us for the day.

The Upper Niagara musky trip will be Dec 13th this year, hope your gonna join us as usual ??