Which jighead would you use?

wuchikubo

I would look for a decent hook, period. Lots of hype about jigheads. They are just a hook with some lead on them - and - if you fish them hard they are nearly disposable. If you find someone that pours, you can usually get a good deal on them in bulk. I tie lots of trout jigs on 1/16 oz heads that I get from a local tackle maker. My only criteria is that they use quality hooks.

Weight and size will depend on how you are going to fish them. Most folks that are using super-light salmon/trout jigs are float fishing. I don't use a float most of the time, but fish very fast water that keeps the jig off the bottom without a float.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far,

Blaque's suggestion is exactly what I'm trying to do.

I use the ever popular: nickel plated bead, pin, and 90 degree jig hook. Put the pin thru the bead, wrap that to a #4 owner jig hook and tie on your favorite recipe.

Canon003.jpg

I'm still not sure what you mean by using the pin. The picture you provided wasn't clear for that. Does the eyelet go through the hole of the bead? Then put the pin through the hole to take up space and trim the pin?

Where about is the best place for beads for this application in the north scarborough / markham area?

Thanks,

Stan

Check out the tutorial I posted the link to above, it shows exactly how to do it - very simple.

Fishing stores that stock fly fishing supplies will carry them, same places you would find the jig hooks.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I forgot to check the link reading through the replies.

Now, I have some work to do to get some new flies tied up.

Stan

Here is the gist of it, and yes, i have too much time on my hands at work

I use #4 owner jighooks, nickel plated beads in various sizes and weights, and simple pins......like sewing pins, You just put the pin thru the beadhole, hold the pin with your thumb and forefinger on the shank of the hook, and wrap it onto the hook. (the pink coil is supposed to be thread lol)

Jig.jpg