Chrome thunder draws her first blood!

kemper

Got home last night, up for 6 am and on the water at 7 to search for some steel, I didnt have high hopes but I needed to wet a line. Project Chrome thunder for those of you that remember, has been staring at me urging me to go do some creek crawling with her and let me tell you her first time was a memorable one.

Walked alot today, got one good chromer out of a fast run and snapped off (intentionally) two boots.

As I was walking upstream I spotted a BIG chromer (12 lb range) tucked in behind a rock. Luckily I spotted it before I spooked it and I fired my single egg up past it and watched it float down towards the fish...

My heart got pumping when I saw it come out from behind the rock and take a look, and then calmly inhale the bait and slide back under the rock. I was so shocked that this approach worked that I almost forgot to set the hook! After a great battled the fish took one big leap and threw my hook, which was a let down but at least I got to feel how the rod handled a big chromer, and it was EXACTLY how I hoped it would.

A little more of a walk found me at a pool that is almost unfishable due to all the debris but I decided to make some drifts anyways and it sure paid off!

Ended up going 4/7 in the hole, average size was smaller chromers but I did turn a bigger one and lose a big brown. Also saw a fish jump higher than I have ever seen and the coolest part was that it was on my line!

All in all it was a great day on the water, went 5/8 on steel and 1/2 on browns and they sure were fiesty. Snapped off 3 boots (I really hate boots).

You will have to wait for thanksgiving for the pics, left my camera at home and I am back at school.

stay tuned

Kemper

-----thanks a million to all that helped out with the custom rod, building was super rewarding and having a chromer battle it out with me on something that I built was a really cool experience

Great Report Kemper!

Sounded like a fantastic day on breaking in your new rod! I went exploring around a creek bit today and swore i must have saw a decent sized rainbow before it quickly swam under some cover! Might have been after reading your report.

Looking forward to the pics.

Edited by tibbs

Thanks all,

she is going to get a good workout this weekend. Im home friday till tuesday morning and Ill be out every day slammin steel!

Also taking my little cousins out (3 and 5) for a couple hours with my uncle just so they can see a fish or two and (hopefully) gain an interest in the sport.

My uncle wants them to get into fishin, (he sees how it as kept me out of trouble through my teen years) but isnt much of an angler himself so I get the kids out whenever I can

should be a blast!