Temagami in May 2008

irishfield

Not that many probably care, but Leah and I headed off for our 4th summer on the lake on May the 12th. After putting it off for three summers it was time to get that big tree down off our deck that not only leaned back over the cottage but the power line as well. Up the tree I went with the end of 300 feet of rope and tied it off to the tree and the other end to the steel boat/25 HP Honda. Leah in the boat with orders to never let the rope go loose and me on the saw and we got lucky.... it fell right where I wanted it so we could get it out of the way in preparation to rebuild our deck.

may1.jpg

may2.jpg

Leah with the look... "Okay... the tree's down... now quit screwing around and build me a new deck so I can quit falling thru this one!"

may3.jpg

Opening day I started the day on the dock casting. 2nd cast I landed a respectable 33" pike and released for another day. We then decided to go out flat lining for lakers later that afternoon as a squall line traversed the lake. Spent about 2 hours without as much as a sniff. We were out again 2 days later with the same results.

may4.jpg

may5.jpg

That weekend we went up the lake a bit to survey the piece of land we bought. With TJ's thread currently up with what you would invest in...this is what I invested in last fall by cashing out some of my investments (before the fall of the market) and put it into 26 acres of waterfront with approx 4000 feet of shoreline. Here we are walking the flagged line that goes from water to water marking the property line that shows where our peninsula starts. Leah's in the heavy growth there somewhere.

may6.jpg

One of a few old growth trees in the rear section of the property dwarfing Leah.

may7.jpg

And finally Leah making it to the other sides marker after about 950 feet thru the forest.

may8.jpg

This year we decided to get all our work done early before visitors arrived thru the summer. Not sure what the rush was considering most that had reserved a spot cancelled due to weather or the cost of fuel (of all things).... but we got to work getting the kitchen redone. Next year I'm taking deposits from folks saying they're gonna visit.

The old panelling with patch work from where I filled in door ways 2 years ago.

may9.jpg

Leah scouting for panelling nails while I get the sheets ready for the wall. Can you guess where our bedroom is located behind the wall? LOL

maya.jpg

I've found that drywall doesn't like the heated and then -40C winter fluctuations so redid the kitchen with 1/4"G1S plywood. Makes a real nice smooth wall after puttying the cracks and a good primer coat.

mayb.jpg

Joint effort on the ceiling with Leah doing the cracks and me doing the (easy part) rolling! Who says second had smoke is harmless... look at the colour difference.

mayc.jpg

Ceiling done, walls painted and still needing trim. Note that I don't pick the colours.... I just apply them! :rolleyes:

mayd.jpg

Then Leah decided she'd like a double sink! P trap leaked on the old one anyhow and needed replumbing... so why not. Some days I wish I was dumb and had no ambition though! :wallbash: Going into the 4th year of turning this sagging/rotted place into a liveable environment.

maye.jpg

Late in the month Jim Krech from Dad's Outdoors asked me if I could give him a hand with some docks and a boat lift over in Quebec... so off we went to do that for a couple of days. We're looking straight across at Hailiebarry (sp) from the Quebec side of Temiskiming. Also... if anyone is considering a boat lift... DO NOT get the canopy. 3 days after we put this one in the water it was picked up by the wind and carried 1500 feet down the shoreline!

mayf.jpg

mayg.jpg

mayh.jpg

Definitely not how to park your wife's new boat. He thought he was in a different spot on the lake, in the dark, and turned left. Unfortunately he wasn't in his bay towards his cottage!

mayi.jpg

Leah trying to give me a hint I think!

mayj.jpg

Leah caught her peeping "tom" on camera. (working on the window trim before repaint)

mayk.jpg

TV watching vista trimmed. Not as much a chore to do the dishes when you can watch TV at the same time.... or at least so she tells me! LOL

mayl.jpg

Now to tackle June.. then July.. then August.. and September.

Edited by irishfield

Wow......You and Leah have had a busy summer by the looks of things. Your place is really looking nice.

When you were in Quebec, were you in St. Bruno Des Guiges. That vista looking across to Haileybury looks awfully familiar.

Cheers

Craig

Yes Craig.. couldn't remember the name of the village. We turned West right in the village and drove to the lake and then North into a dead end where new lots were just sold.

When I get June/July/Aug/Sept put together you'll see we didn't stop there.... This summer was mainly work and staring out the window! Weather/bugs/etc/sucked this year.

Edited by irishfield

Wayne I am glad to see the trees down without injury but as an arborist I have to be forward and point out that those two felling cuts are very dangerous not to mention climbing at that height without any safety gear. is there any particular reason why you felt like making an angled back cut?

Nice work there Wayne. Good plan with the plywood wall. Are you enjoying the work on your place?

I still prefer fixing up my place than fishing even after 5 years of doing it. Going to have to stop until after the next assessment.

Appreciate the concern Wild. Haven't fallen out of a tree yet nor dropped one on anything I didn't want destroyed in the 30 years I've been dropping them. I cut about 6 bush cords of hard wood a year and have done as much as 50 cords in one season. Angle cut was concern for kick back when the trunk hit the deck edge. I've had a tree almost impail me before and was taught to angle cut to lessen the likelyhood of this happening. Right or wrong it's worked for me and always sent the tree in the direction I want. Consistancy I guess and hard to change from that.

Appreciate the concern Wild. Haven't fallen out of a tree yet nor dropped one on anything I didn't want destroyed in the 30 years I've been dropping them. I cut about 6 bush cords of hard wood a year and have done as much as 50 cords in one season. Angle cut was concern for kick back when the trunk hit the deck edge. I've had a tree almost impail me before and was taught to angle cut to lessen the likelyhood of this happening. Right or wrong it's worked for me and always sent the tree in the direction I want. Consistancy I guess and hard to change from that.

Ok I understand the psychology concerning kickback however the hinge will control that, an angled cut especially with such a lean is more dangerous overall and the risk of a barberchair is much higher not to mention the risk of pinching the bar before the hinge is cut leaving you with an even more dangerous situation. Make a proper face cut and a straight back cut and use a wedge if necessary and Wayne let the hinge control the tree.

Tree kickback is one danger but a barberchair is the worst.

Hey I want to see plenty more reports from you in the future!