Montreal - Fall 2008

irishfield

Well Dano and I took off for Montreal on Sunday morning, for what I guess we can now call our annual fall trip. Booked the same 4 day period as last year in hopes we'd see another 30+ fish come to the boat like we had last year with Marc Thorpe putting us on some great casting grounds.

Arrived in Montreal about 4 PM.. hit a CTC @ Hwy 540/40 for our fishing licences and then off to Marc's in Terrebonne to move into his upstairs two bedroom apartment for the next 4 nights. Got settled in, cooked up some great rib steaks on the BBQ...that Marc had for us in the fridge... and then Marc arrived to see us after his day on the water. First words out of his mouth... "it's gonna be tough lads... The Larry is 5/6 feet higher than last year.. no weed beds in our charmer spot from last year....fishing has been slow all season for everyone....Sandy/Adam just left yesterday and we only got a couple in that 4 days...don't expect numbers but hopefully we can find a monster". Discouraging... but it sure didn't take the wind out of our sails.... we came to fish hard for 4 days and to also sneak in some socializing as well.

Headed out 8am Monday and it wasn't long before Dano had a fish on casting a weed line. Got it close to the boat and it was a respectable pike... but hey... we're not here for them slimmers. A quick flip with the pliers and it's gone. Not gonna jynx us and get the camera out for that one. Shortly after that I had a follow right to the boat of a HUGE muskie that was swimming right beside the bait I was throwing. Lateral line is what it's all about... unfortunately she saw the boat and turned. Maybe we'd see her again later. A few throws after that Dan has one on and Marc is quick to have her netted and the hooks out, ALL DONE IN THE WATER with the net always used as a holding pen...never to lift the fish.

thorpe1.jpg

Dan got ahold of it for a quick picture and quickly released. Just a wee fella... but hey it's a start/skunk killer.....and 5 years from now it will be a contender!!

thorpe2.jpg

Hours and hours of casting 'till our arms felt like rubber....and good 'ol Marc not to disappoint gives us heavier baits as the day goes on. Thanks Marc! lol In total on Monday we had knowledge of 7 Muskie. 1 in the boat... 1 hook pop out... 2 follows to the boat and 3 rips when we trolled the last hour of the day.

thorpe3.jpg

Somewhere amongst the fun Dan was washing his hands off the back of the boat and had a monster come up and take his hand off.

thorpe4.jpg

..but it was kind enough to spit it back out so we figured why waste it and had it for supper. Tasted great!

thorpe5.jpg

thorpe6.jpg

Next day/Tuesday it was colder and rougher out there and we worked hard for over 6 hours without a sniff. Then we got back in the area I had the big gal follow the day before and we weren't disappointed. She hooked up this time for a great fight and Marc had her in the net none too soon as the hook popped just as she went over the net frame. Marc got the hook untangled from the net.. Dan and Marc got the cameras all ready.

thorpe7.jpg

Marc then said... okay lift her out of there for a quick shot. Well I'll tell ya I gotta start lifting weights if I'm gonna keep chasing these things... cause it was a heavy lift from the water line I'll tell ya.

thorpe8.jpg

And what a log. It looked like and was as firm as a chunk of rough sawn timber. She measured 53.5" long (without a tail pinch) in the cradle, by 24/25" girth. Marc estimates 41 to 43 lbs. She got her revenge as well and crapped all over me. I love her underbite jaw!

thorpe9.jpg

thorpea.jpg

Two hours later and just before quitting time.. Dan is into another fish. Gave him a good fight and into the net.

thorpeb.jpg

Respectable fella for a hard day on the water.

thorpec.jpg

Wednesday the cold front arrived and we fished and we fished and we fished... for about 11 hours. Tired and bummed out we headed back to Marc's for a quick clean up and off to Roy's for supper. We told him to make hamburgers and he'd hear nothing of it. Some great pork concoctions and even better hospitality from his wife J and himself. Thanks again Roy and "J" for making us feel at home!!

thorped.jpg

Yes they get along... just like brothers! lol

thorpef.jpg

Marc marking some secret spots on Roy's charts. Go out there Roy and hit them fella!

thorpeg.jpg

Thursday it was COLD and miserable. 4 degrees..wind 30K gusting 50K. Casting out of the question so we put in 8 hours of trolling. Lots of bait changes, depth changes, location changes and not a single sniff/rip/nada ! We called it a day at about 4.. got back to Marc's threw our stuff in the truck and were on the way home at 6Pm arriving at Dan's about 1 AM. Another trip in the history books for the two of us and already have more in the planning stage for this fall..next spring and summer. All thanks to meeting folks on OFC !!

Edited by irishfield

She measured 53.5" long (without a tail pinch) in the cradle, by 24/25" girth. Marc estimates 41 to 43 lbs. She got her revenge as well and crapped all over me.

LMAO ...very funny report and awsome pics!! :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like great company and the food looks good at J and Roy's ,but the BBQ hand :whistling:

cheers

Streamerguy

Yea, it was a fun trip with LOTS of laughs and good times in spite of the weather.

Can you tell this guy is happy?

gallery_42_223_6971.jpg

And why not, here is another angle of the big one...(the fish, not Wayne)

gallery_42_223_50403.jpg

Now I found this image on my camera, and thats me playing with the fish in the net, so I didnt take this shot. Things that make you go hmmmmm.....lol, anyway Fern likes it, she says its my better side.... <_<

gallery_42_223_5593.jpg

As always Wayne, it was a pleasure hanging out and fishing with you. Thanks Marc for putting us on these beasts and the laughs. (if anyone wants a real good shot at monster muskie, this is the go to guy, no question about it)

Roy and "J" your hospitality is second to none, thanks again for putting up with us and the delicious meal.

Super report guys :thumbsup_anim: And Supper with J and Roy, sounds like the perfect trip :clapping:

That is a beautiful fish Wayne, I also like the underbite.

Love the bbq'd hand bit, that's hilarious.

Fern is right :whistling:B)

Joey