Grand River (Walleye/Bass)

oates

Hi all,

Just been fishing since Aug. starting to have more success, location and type of lure/bait seem to be key. I started fishing the southern part of the Grand, I had my first breakthrough, grabbing 5 walleye (in 45 mins) on a small rappala (all 1-2lb), it all happened late afternoon, not a bite before or after. I have a few questions:

1) Is there a reason walleye seem to bite in the late afternoon and not earlier or at dusk?

2) I have rarely gotten a bass in the Grand, I was wondering if it is just a location thing or are Bass numbers just way down this year (I know for Rice Lake, everyone has said it is down, but perhaps they overfish Bass in that lake?) If so, is the Southern Grand good for bass, I haven't tried York yet

On another note, I am going to Rice Lake tommorow, anyone have any tips, I will be renting a boat with the family, should be fun, last time I caught a perch in six hours of fishing, maybe now a bit more experience and I might catch more!

Thanks for all your advice and points on this forum.

CIMG0649.JPG

Edited by oates

Cant say much about walleye altho from what I've seen people are doing well on them.

As for the bass that's a different story----above Caledonia the bass are thriving, just a matter of finding the locations where they inhabit. Right now they're on the feed bag and some good size ones are being caught.

How far south on the Grand are we talking? Bass fishing not too good from Dunnville down, but they are there if you know where to look. And I have found the same in Dunnville about the afternoon bite thing.

Upstream - Caledonia, Brantford, I find the walleye fishing always best at night around 12am - 2am. And the bass are like fleas, you can't avoid catching them.

Cant say much about walleye altho from what I've seen people are doing well on them.

As for the bass that's a different story----above Caledonia the bass are thriving, just a matter of finding the locations where they inhabit. Right now they're on the feed bag and some good size ones are being caught.

hell yea i got myself into a good 17 incher yesterday above caledonia dam on spinned bait it was a good 3.5 pounds

The walleye is a light-avoiding fish, caught most often under low light conditions.

Fishing is generally best on cloudy or overcast days, or on days when waves keep light from penetrating too deeply into the water.

Low-light feeders, walleye aggressively feed in the shallows at dusk, dawn and at night; however, they can still be caught in the day.