Salmon Post

StoneFly

Stained water, very few fish, only one other angler, but this little piggy liked the big red roe. It took ten minutes to beach,..clean hook in the mouth and the Russian guy down the bank asked or begged me to keep it for him,..(She was tight as can be and normally she would have went straight back in the drink),...so I kept her eggs and I guess he ate it,...lol....no matter what anyone says about salmon fishing,..when they are this big, they are alot of fun,..just as fun as steelhead IMO especially with no crowds and your hooking them legit!!! Please dont even bring up lining, I am so tired of hearing about it. lol...If there are 50 fish in a pool,.yes you will almost innevitably snag and line,..however, if there are only a couple and your float bolts down when trotting,..I'm sorry but its a hit, especially after a rain and fish are fresher and unmolested!!!

24lb.jpg

Hey Mike

Why dont you leave it to do its thing. LOL just joking. great going.. You should see the BROWNY PIG I caught yesterday. Probally a cool 16+ Hen

Waiting for my friend to send me the pics..

Say Hi to Ken for me

Dave

nice fish! oh yeah they bite it, especially big red balls of roe... especially skein, especially if you see your float dart under as opposed to swing under slowly, especially if they are fresh in. nice colour on her.

Hey Mike

Why dont you leave it to do its thing. LOL just joking. great going.. You should see the BROWNY PIG I caught yesterday. Probally a cool 16+ Hen

Waiting for my friend to send me the pics..

Say Hi to Ken for me

Dave

Dave,....I cant wait to see the pics,..you can probably tell where I was,..and I know where you been going,...I just havent had time during the week, cept for this one hour on the way to QC during the week,...and the odd notty trip on weekends, (no crowds but i get into fish),...still produce though...lol,...cant stand the crowds east on the weekends unless its rainy and cold,..let me know when you get a day off on the weekend soon and we will hit it large!!!! I got a couploe 1/2 daYS OFF COMIN UP ONCE THE CHROMERS HIT THOUGH...LOL...We can swap eggs if you want...lol...yeah i know,..you let her go to do her thing,...;)

nice fish! oh yeah they bite it, especially big red balls of roe... especially skein, especially if you see your float dart under as opposed to swing under slowly, especially if they are fresh in. nice colour on her.

I cure my skein and tie it up in all sizes depending on conditions the night before,..do you use it in chunks? I have tried that,..I just find you have to change it sooo often and use ALOT more....red mesh for salmon and usually pink for bows,...that being said,..I only use roe when there are no crowds,..when I feel the fish have seen alot of roe recently ...I switch it up to flies, pink worms etc....havent got skunked yet this year,..same results each time.

I dont know why people are so down on salmon in the rivers,..maybe they dont know how to catch one legit,...if you know how,..its quite rewarding as many can attest to as yourself, I would think, especially given the size they get to,..just my opinion of course!!

I guess the heebs that are innevitably around because you can see these fish and the ignorance of so many..gives it a bad name...me..I have fished beside 3-4 heebs at a time bottom bouncing,..snaggin etc,..as I contiually hook them in the mouth,..and you know what,..they all end up asking how to do it properly,..I spend some time and try to help them,..I think thats the right thing to do!! At the very least,..I wont have to worry as much about number 4 hooks cutting my hand as I tail a fish I caught legit with a number 12 in the mouth...lol

Edited by StoneFly

I cure my skein and tie it up in all sizes depending on conditions the night before,..do you use it in chunks? I have tried that,..I just find you have to change it sooo often and use ALOT more....red mesh for salmon and usually pink for bows,...that being said,..I only use roe when there are no crowds,..when I feel the fish have seen alot of roe recently ...I switch it up to flies, pink worms etc....havent got skunked yet this year,..same results each time.

I dont know why people are so down on salmon in the rivers,..maybe they dont know how to catch one legit,...if you know how,..its quite rewarding as many can attest to as yourself, I would think, especially given the size they get to,..just my opinion of course!!

I guess the heebs that are innevitably around because you can see these fish and the ignorance of so many..gives it a bad name...me..I have fished beside 3-4 heebs at a time bottom bouncing,..snaggin etc,..as I contiually hook them in the mouth,..and you know what,..they all end up asking how to do it properly,..I spend some time and try to help them,..I think thats the right thing to do!! At the very least,..I wont have to worry as much about number 4 hooks cutting my hand as I tail a fish I caught legit with a number 12 in the mouth...lol

I do use chunks, sometimes I find chunks more effective then bags if the bite is tough, sometimes they both produce equally. I cant say the same for flies or pink works for salmon however, rainbows yes. The way to get bit (in the river) is to target them when they are fresh, and yes they will inhale skein. If they have been sitting in a pool for a week they will just ignore your bait. Different things can be said for fish in marinas and river mouths.

I do use chunks, sometimes I find chunks more effective then bags if the bite is tough, sometimes they both produce equally. I cant say the same for flies or pink works for salmon however, rainbows yes. The way to get bit (in the river) is to target them when they are fresh, and yes they will inhale skein. If they have been sitting in a pool for a week they will just ignore your bait. Different things can be said for fish in marinas and river mouths.

Sorry I meant pinkies for bows,..but have had great success with flies with salmon (and bows) when there is pressure and alot of roe presentations,.and its always a silver fish that come up on the fly...I dont beleive its coincidence that 10 guys drift a pool with roe with nittle to no results and the freshest silver salmon comes up in the mouth on a stonefly...that being said,...if noones around,..I start with roe always.....if they have have been in a pool for a week and no rain,..I dont even go out...lol Cheers...bring on the RAIN!!!