How long prior to spawning can you get roe from a fish?

dp3200

Recognizing that the last roe-related post didn't seem very welcomed, I do have a question that I think is more legitimate and may be better received.

How long can you generally get roe from a fish before the spawning season? I don't normally keep fish so I've never inadvertently found out. I have always gotten my roe right in the middle of the season, but I'm going to be fishing steelhead soon and I was wondering how long I'd be stuck with flies and pink worms :)

Wait, you can catch steelhead on spawn? This changes everything...

On a serious note eggs are in early development stages long before the spawning season. At this time of year the rainbows will have small, immature eggs on the skein. Similarly, I kept a walleye 2 weeks ago and it too had immature eggs....

Pink worms for life!!

guess that depends on how early you catch one to belly slit it :o:o

by now I am sure if you catch a boot that's been in the river for a while..she will have no problem spewing eggs all over when ya pull her out of the water

On a serious note, you will find that most steelhead you catch now will have immature eggs.... Of course if you happen to get lucky and get a fall spawning steelhead you could just hit the egg jackpot in the next few weeks. I know five or six guys who were lucky enough to do that early November where I like to fish.

Somewhat of a related question.. where can you get the best deal on mesh to tie roe bags? good quality stuff?

I am sad to say that I have yet to find a "deal" on mesh my friend.... The dollar store doesn't carry it yet. LOL. However I have found a mesh that I like and it is a little bigger, softer and stronger than the other brands I have tried. The brand is Atlas spawn net. I gave a pal who owns a bait store some and he begged me to pick him up so more because he said it was the best he had used.... Considering I have seen him sell upwards of 500 or 600 hundred tied roe bags in a busy morning so him saying it is the best is a pretty good endorsement too.

FWIW, Fabricland's current sale has craft netting on for $1.22 per meter. This stuff's sold by length (in meters), and the netting is 180cm wide.

Might be worth taking a wander in there and just looking around. The staff will definitely know what'll hold a hook (or pins), what won't, and what'll unravel if you look at it.

Somewhat of a related question.. where can you get the best deal on mesh to tie roe bags? good quality stuff?

Get a few drinks into your girlfriend on a Saturday night, get her stockings off, run out of the bedroom cackling madly..............

In my experience it usually isn't worth the few bucks saved............

Get a few drinks into your girlfriend on a Saturday night, get her stockings off, run out of the bedroom cackling madly..............

Tee Hee :lol::lol::lol: I just need a couple of minutes to clean off my screen now

HAHAHAHA! oh man.. It's a shame none of her stockings are red, orange, or pink..