CABELAS

Dave2

Tuesday they finally sent me a brand new on-board charger for my boat. The one I sent back to them was 4.5 years old and 2.5 years out of manufacture warranty. I only called them to find out the manufacture so I could contact them. Instead Cabela's insisted that I sent it back to them because it had their name on it.

Bottom line Cabela's sent me a new $139.99 charger FREE of charge.

Wednesday I installed it and my boat batteries are happy again :)

Bob

Cool, you can tell they have a solid customer service strategy by looking at their website online, they've invested a lot of money into the service and support online which I'm sure is reflected in other channels as well. Bottom line is they are one of the few that got customer service right, and I am sure they are reaping enormous cash benefits out of this. It's a no brainer companies all too often get wrong to 'cut costs', only thing they really are doing is cutting customers and profits and revenues.

Now you can buy from Cabelas Canada.Not many products at the moment but savings are great.Never had problem dealing with them.Called their service line for help with product and they solved it. Gone to BPS in Toronto but always walked out unsatisfied.

Aside from the slow shipping when buying from cabelas.s...aka Sir Mail order, I would much rather spend my money there....Don't even get me started on bASS Pro customer service.

I have a BPS Extreme 370 tackle bag and the zipper broke, I phone to ask if I could exchange it in store for one without a broken zipper and they said sure, come on in, I told them I had no reciept, she said no problem, I asked if I should bring in the boxes as theyare full of lures she said nope just bring the bag.

Well when I got to the store(1.5 hour drive) It was another story, I ended up leaving a basket full of musky lures and tackle on the floor at the custommer service desk and left with my broken bag.

I sent an email to head office in the US and the next day the GM from Bass pro called me and they ended up mailing me a replacement bag.

I guess in the end I got what I should have but I certainly didn't get any compensation for the argrivation nor any reason to go back. I was never out for anythign extra, just the bag, but a gift card or something liek that would at least get me back in the store especially with hunting season right on top of us. I won't be back to Bass pro any time soon, but I order from cabellas instead in front of my nice warm fire. If I need it right away I go to a local shop and pay more.

As a retail store owner I must say BPS handled the situation correctly. Perhaps a little "token extra" would have been nice, but unfortunately it was likely a staff member that mishandled the situation. I think the fact the management once made aware that you were mistreated took the time to personally call you shows that the service isn't all bad. It's an unfortunate part of retail where the owner/manager can't be the eyes and ears everywhere. Had nobody corrected the situation at all I'd say the service is bad. Did you ask to speak to management at the time?

At the time I was peaking to the floor supervisor or whomever is it was, and I was offered a 30 dollar in store credit for my broken bag as I didn't have the boxes with me. I said I didn't want a store credit I want a bag thats not broken like the one promised to me, they said that I would have to pay the difference(the bag was 50 dollars, but minus the tackle boxes they were only going to give me 30 dollars, towards another bag then I wouldhave 80 bucks plus gas into a 50 dollar bag. They said "If I couldn't afford to pay the difference I could look for a cheaper smaller bag to exchange with", No thanks, walked out went to Lebaron and spent 300 bucks.

The only reason I got a call is because I emailed teh Head office in the US.

I too have worked in retail and when a customer drives 1.5 hours to a store to do a direct exchange on a broken itemThat person doesn't leave with nothing. If need be the person is offered an exchange of a similarly price item but is under no circumstances expected to pay extra.

Did they handle it correctly? I really don't think mailing out a bag after the frustration that was caused over a store brand item is adequate compensation to try and reclaim a lost customer. But I guess thats how you run your retail store as well.

The person who originally took your call made the mistake of saying you could bring in the busted bag without the trays.. Although even if you didn't, they should have swapped bags and put the new trays in the old bag and RMA'd it with their vendor anyhow.

Like I said, in the end I got the bag replaced but the experience overall has left me with a sour taste in my mouth and I won't be back any time soon. Getting back just the bag without even a note of appology for the inconvenience or a 5 dollar gift card or even a 5 percent off coupon or something cements the willingness for Bass Pro to do the Bare minimum. In fact when I was talking to the manager, He told be straight out that they have millions of happy custommers and I an choose to spend my money anywhere I choose. Well I guess you can interpret that however you like but I take that as my money is not needed or wanted at Bass pro as there are lots of other people willing to spend there money their. I do appologize for this turning into a bit of a hijack.

I have to admit I've never given Cabela's a try. I just have no faith in mail order. As for BPS, I go twice a year armed with a list. When I want service, help or information, I have two very good local shops in my backyard. Angie or Denis provide the kind of customer service I remember from the old LeBarons, or Epps in its heyday.

Edited by bigugli

I am not in any way downplaying your complaint nor is it how I would have necessarily handled it. what I'm saying is that once the correct person was made aware of how you were treated they took care of it albeit maybe a little cheaply and a little extra should have been given to make sure you know you are an appreciated customer.

One thing to remember that letters or emails of complaint are not frowned upon by upper management of any store regardless of its size. We simply can't be everywhere all the time. Letters are very much appreciated and I always reply personally and a gift card is always awarded for their time to make me aware of a potential shortcoming my store may have regardless if I necessarily agree with he/she. The customer is always right! Cheers. In the end I'm glad you got a new bag!

I would have thought the on shift Supervisor or custommer service person is the right person to handle an exchange. LIke I said if a company can't handle a simple exchange on a broken store brand item, they are not worth my time. Its not like I went in with a broken zebco spincasting reel asking for a Curado. This is a store brand bag in exchange for a store brand bag. Seems like a pretty simple thing to me. The problem I have with what your saying is that if I am to return something I am to immediatly ask for the General Manager of the store to make a simple exchange. This is why there is a customer service desk. I mean holy poop, if you go through the Drive through at McDonalds and you are missing a big mac they give you a coupon and your Big Mac. I could list off numerous box stores that will go out of there way to handle returns and exchanges quickly and courtiously. When you say that you think the situation was handled properly, that does belittle my experience. The situation was screwed up right from the begining to the very end, and is very typical of Bass Pro service.

I guess we'll leave it at that then. Read what you want to read as I don't think you are reading what I'm saying but hearing what you want. I'm a long way from BPS and have only been once and was overwhelmed (in a positive way like a kid in a candy store) and never had to deal with customer service. I never said you had to ask for a manager to return the item. Evidently, BPS doesn't properly train or give enough authority to those staffing the customer service desk. What I said was if you weren't getting the service you felt you deserved by a subordinate you ought to have asked for his or her supervisor or the on duty manager. If you did, and were still wronged I'm sorry I must have read only what I wanted to read. I understand you were cheesed off! We all get that way! What I'm saying is employees make mistakes and decisions that don't always represent management/ownership's beliefs. I'm not in any way defending BPS. In fact, next time in the Toronto area I'll likely drive by and seek out the Cabela's store because of all the positive comments I read on this site about them. I never intented to insult you. Once again....CHEERS!

The only reason I got a call is because I emailed teh Head office in the US.

/quote]

this is what's wrong with most retailers. For a store the size of BPS, it should never get this far, it should never escalate over the store level management for resolution because stories like this travel very well on the internet. For a small store, i understand their bottom line isn't big enough to absorb that kind of loss, but even then, it guarantees future sales so it' all depends on how the retailer chooses to view it. Do they want to maximize the quick buck now or build a list of long term customers. You have to spend money to make money.

Does anybody have a bad experience with Cabelas or even read of one? And i mean a customer problem within reason, not some idiot who had troubles with a product and demands an unrealistic upgrade to compensate for his time. I personally have never had a bad experience nor have i heard of one that wasn't resolved at the lowest/first level CSR. A lot of the time, the problems are my own fault like sizing.

Aside from the slow shipping when buying from cabelas.s...aka Sir Mail order, I would much rather spend my money there....Don't even get me started on bASS Pro customer service.

After reading the thread, to be sure I got it all. I can only say that I am sorry that you had to deal with the BPS in Toronto. I have been to Cabela's and BPS in the States, and I can say they both good. Just comparing BPS in the states and the one in Toronto is like night and day, State side they have great to excellent customer service :thumbsup_anim: , in toronto I don't think I would ever shop there ever again. :wallbash:

I am lucky that I drive by a BPS and Cabela's store on just about ever trip... :whistling: