Where to buy battery/trolling motor wires?

Fisherpete

I find that my boat is quite rear heavy, so I want to move the 2 batteries closer to the front of the boat (one is starting, the other deep cycle for the trolling motor & accesories). I have been having some difficulty finding some appropriate wire to do so, to do both I will need approximately 25-30 feet or so.

The questions:

1) What gauge wire should I use? 2 or 4 for the starting battery or is this overkill? What would be appropriate for the deep cycle to connect to the trolling motor (it is a transom mount)? Overall length of the wires would be 12-14 feet each.

2) Where can I find this type of wire? I have tried Cdn Tire, Home Depot, several boat shops... I have found lots of lighter stuff (16-18G).

3) Is the best way to splice the new and old wires together with a butt connector? Heat shrink some tubing over top?

I was also thinking of moving the gas tank to the front, anyone know where I could get some longer (say 12-15 foot or so) fuel line? I am guessing that outboard fuel line is universal in size, but just in case, my outboard is a 30hp Honda 4 stroke.

Edited by Fisherpete

My boat was nose heavy, under powered, livewell up front and 2 trolling motor batteries, just didn`t want to plan out quickly with fish in the box. I moved my trolling motor batteries to the rear.

Less than 14 feet line of sight, I used 6 gauge wire, where ever the wire came in contact with a support I split a piece of garden hose and put it over the wire.

Most good auto supply stores will have wire and heavy duty terminal ends, a truck parts store will also.

"Buy a set of cheap booster cables CTC or Princess auto. Cut the ends off. Wala!"

Do not under any circumstances do this. Made this mistake with 0 guage booster from CTC and while opening up parts of boat a year later to chase mice, found every bit of insulation flaked off! Could have been a real shocker on an aluminum boat. I went to a marine supply store (Port Whitby Marine) and got the proper guage with marine type insulation.

Really? Crap, I was there last week looking, and scoured the electrical and auto aisles, but didn't really look in the welding area. Might have to make a run out there this afternoon...

If not, there are a few car audio places around, I'll try them.

Any industrial hardware store will have what you are looking for.

Traction. concord hardware. cisco. thees places charge a little more. But they don't

sell JUNK!!!

Before you run the cable, rap it in cable loome.

I did not find anything at Princess auto either....I think 16ft was the longest they had. At CTC and other places the price jump is huge to go to 25 ft.

Here is a guide from Minn Kota for wire selection: http://www.minnkotamotors.com/view.asp?url...eneral&pt=6

forrest

PS: If you find long lengths at a good price can you drop me a PM?

Regular battery cable is 4ga.I would use 4ga only.It can be bought by the foot from any Jobber ie Napa,Parts Source,CTC.Make sure you use propper cable ends.The best are the brass ones that are soldered on.

Just my opinion

Dan

Percher has got it right 4ga for your batteries, dont cheap out. Do it right, sure it will work otherways but then if you have a problem you have no one to blame but yourself.

I added a battery, switch and charging isolator to my lund and got everything from west marine, they seemed very price competitive.

FYI this is not a cheap project battery cable can be expensive.

Ryan

OK, here's what I found today...

Princess Auto has the best price for 4G wire. Cdn Tire had none, at Napa it was $70 for a 25 foot spool, PA is $1.59/foot, so for 25ft it works out to be just under $40. Times two, if I want to move both batteries, so roughly $80. I didn't check out any car audio places yet, might take a look there before I buy. The cable from PA has a nice tough casing though, might be the best bet.

I already have a nice set of copper lugs for the end, which I am going to solder on. I need to pick up a set of butt connectors (lol butt connectors) to splice the new 4G wire to the existing trolling motor wire... which is 4G? 6G? I dunno? gauge... Any ideas where to find those? I found these ones at PA, but am not too sure of their weather resistance:

WELDING EXTENSION CABLE CONNECTORS

• Lenco style

• Suitable for multiple sizes of welding cable

• Comes complete with shivs and allen wrench

FOR #4, #2 and #1 CABLE

0140202 – Wt. 0.7 lbs. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $12.99

Maybe do some heat shrink tubing over top of them afterwards??? Sheesh... I need to stop fiddling and get fishing... can't wait until next week...