Opening deer day... how did you do?

bucktail

This reply is somewhat directed towards the new/novice deer hunters.

I've hunted them for over thirty years and guided hunters for several as well, so I may not be Jim Shockey but I've got a pretty good idea whats going on.

Now if success is measured in"racks" yeah I've got a shed full that I seldom look at but it's a whole lot more.

Taking your PAL course is just a start----you really need to hunt for a while with an experienced hunter to learn the rest---I know WFN makes it look easy but it is a little more involved---I've had some hunters up from the US that told me of selective harvest game farms in Texas and Alabama where someone points at the one you can shoot---not Canadian reality.

My concern about new hunters fresh out of the PAL course is the extras about deer or moose hunting. way too many times I've seen excited hunters unloading at a deer ---walk up and in 2 seconds assume they've missed and are ready to walk away ---only upon closer searching to have the animal dead 50 yds away. Or here's the most common---fire at a deer and immediately run up to it for photo's----wrong/wrong/wrong---too many times that deer pumped on adrenaline jumps up and the search is always long.

I won't make this into a novel and will answer questions if you wish but I believe it is in everyones best interest to learn from those that have done it (now some never learn--that's your judgement). I was fortunate and got to learn from the best at a young age---I think you'll find hunters in the field are a great bunch and are usually more than willing to assist.

Here's one some guys I guided got a few years back. His 1st deer.

Bushart

Just an fyi, your not allowed to challenge the hunters course, you can only challenge the gun course. Best bet is to take both courses. The course is definatly lacking as you will walk away from the course saying, hmm ok now what? Can I go here, where can I go? can I really just go walk through the bush with a gun? It will all seem weird at first, Best thing is to take the course and hook up with someone that already hunts, friend, relative etc...

Its like launching a boat, You don't want to be backing up a trailer for the first time in your life with a 50 thousand dollar bass boat in a Bass tournament.

I would actually encourage you to go out on a hunt with your friend and get a feel for what hunting is all about. Just make sure you don't have a firearm and you stay close to your friend at all times. This way you can't be accused of aiding in the hunt by pursue the animal without a license. I have brought many people out with me to expose tem to the outdoors and hunting and they loved it, and CO have no problem with this as long as you stick to the rules. Another tip, bring a camera with you, you might get some wildlife shots or even better pictures of your buddy taking down a deer. Good luck and be safe.

How did you get that deer to stay so still for that photo Bushart.LOL

Full intentions of hitting the field edge since wednesday,but picked up this nasty cold virus. Hope to get out for a few hours in the AM (I,ll need to bring along my cough can) :wallbash: .I got a nice line of rubs and scrapes that are pretty fresh.Im guessing after all the rain,the fella should be making his rounds to refresh them.

How did you get that deer to stay so still for that photo Bushart.LOL

Full intentions of hitting the field edge since wednesday,but picked up this nasty cold virus. Hope to get out for a few hours in the AM (I,ll need to bring along my cough can) :wallbash: .I got a nice line of rubs and scrapes that are pretty fresh.Im guessing after all the rain,the fella should be making his rounds to refresh them.

I'm a deer whisperer.

This reply is somewhat directed towards the new/novice deer hunters.

I've hunted them for over thirty years and guided hunters for several as well, so I may not be Jim Shockey but I've got a pretty good idea whats going on.

Now if success is measured in"racks" yeah I've got a shed full that I seldom look at but it's a whole lot more.

Taking your PAL course is just a start----you really need to hunt for a while with an experienced hunter to learn the rest---I know WFN makes it look easy but it is a little more involved---I've had some hunters up from the US that told me of selective harvest game farms in Texas and Alabama where someone points at the one you can shoot---not Canadian reality.

My concern about new hunters fresh out of the PAL course is the extras about deer or moose hunting. way too many times I've seen excited hunters unloading at a deer ---walk up and in 2 seconds assume they've missed and are ready to walk away ---only upon closer searching to have the animal dead 50 yds away. Or here's the most common---fire at a deer and immediately run up to it for photo's----wrong/wrong/wrong---too many times that deer pumped on adrenaline jumps up and the search is always long.

I won't make this into a novel and will answer questions if you wish but I believe it is in everyones best interest to learn from those that have done it (now some never learn--that's your judgement). I was fortunate and got to learn from the best at a young age---I think you'll find hunters in the field are a great bunch and are usually more than willing to assist.

Here's one some guys I guided got a few years back. His 1st deer.

Bushart

I figured the courses would be better as it will clear alot of things up for me.

I really hope I could find someone to take me out on a hunt in the near future before or after i have my hunting and PAL. (Hope to take the course oct 18th)

Edited by Mattones