Opening deer day... how did you do?

bucktail

I haven't been out hunting yet, to busy at work and work is to far away from home to get the afternoon hunt in. This Sat and Sun I will be out chasing an 8 & 10 pointer that we see regulary on our bean field.

Good luck and shoot em straight >>>------->

My buddie who is about 200 yards down from me saw 2 does and 2 fawns. I am in a woodlot that connects two bedding areas with a number of trails. It seems when I see deer I see lots but when its dead there isnt much around.

My other buddie saw 2 8 pointers in a field about 1/4 mile behind me so hopefully is just a waiting game.

Leaves are still up so it is still hard to see much past 40 yards.

The girlfriend has 99 acres in Flambrough and I always see about 6 dear when im driving her home or picking her up early in the morning. I have nearly hit 2 deer this past year alone! Also there are lots of Coytoes and the old wolf also. They have signs posted for no hunting as they had a little issue with hunters a few years ago.

Just to toss in The girlfriend was stalked by 3 Coytoes a few months ago walking her Dachshund in the back yard. :canadian:

Edited by Mattones

I got out lastnight and seen a squirrel too !!!! Yesterday morning one of my buddies seen the biggest deer he has ever seen out of one of my stands so we are hoping to arrow that bad boy... I just got in from setting up a ground blind that im hoping to sit in tomorow night if this darn head cold decides to leave me alone .

Saw 3 does and 2 fawns last night while scouting, and a really nice mature 4x4 muley... Too bad they wont let me buy a tag as a Non Resident, the buggers... Ohh well they can wait for next season... I will likely head out friday cause he's from here and can get a tag. Hoping he gets to punch the hole in it. Good luck to all

our season started last saturday, i have passed all week on several does, and a 6 pt but come this weekend something is going to die. we can take up to 6 deer this year and i plan on limiting out with the price of food. i also am going to try to let my stepson take his first deer. he will be seven in few weeks and is pretty good with a crossbow within 25 yards. good luck to all and post some pics.

jason

Nope, but you better have only one weapon with the two of you.

most hunters prefer "firearms" instead of "weapon" like liberals use.

why only one gun with 2 people? technically its legal for a hunter to take all the guns you own hunting with you. i often take my 17hmr and 12 gauge at the same time so im prepared for long and short shots. you could take your whole family hunting with you if you really wanted to as long as you are the only one shootin...

i went out in the rain this evening to have a look around and ended up seeing a big doe and found a bunch of trails.

I'm going to be calling up some class's to get my P.A.L. and Hunter Ed. Found a class in oakville that starts Oct 18th :D

I really want to watch some first hand hunting. All my family up in Brockville hunts. Thats a little too far to just go and watch so if anyone wants a tag along i'm always down :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Mattones

I'm going to be calling up some class's to get my P.A.L. and Hunter Ed. Found a class in oakville that starts Oct 18th :D

I really want to watch some first hand hunting. All my family up in Brockville hunts. Thats a little too far to just go and watch so if anyone wants a tag along i'm always down :thumbsup_anim:

if you have been around guns and hunting throughout your life, the PAL and hunting courses are a waste of time. i was 17 when i did both of mine and i could have easily just challenged the exams for each one and it would have cost half the amount of money. pretty much like the turkey course...common sense is all you need.

if you arent familiar with guns and hunting then id just do the courses.

figure this one out...

its possible to get your PAL when you are 17 but walmart or canadian tire wont sell you ammo until you are 18 even though its 100% legal for you to buy guns and ammo and you use your dang PAL as ID.

if you have been around guns and hunting throughout your life, the PAL and hunting courses are a waste of time. i was 17 when i did both of mine and i could have easily just challenged the exams for each one and it would have cost half the amount of money. pretty much like the turkey course...common sense is all you need.

figure this one out...

its possible to get your PAL when you are 17 but walmart or canadian tire wont sell you ammo until you are 18 even though its 100% legal for you to buy guns and ammo and you use your dang PAL as ID.

Well i havent really been around them very much in the past 10 years so the course will be best i think.. Any idea how long these courses often take? 2 days each i'm guessing?

Edited by Mattones

I don't know to much about hunting but have thought about takin a course. Not sure i could shoot a deer though. Yeah i know sound like a right wuss....lol..

Last month we had three does behind my property . We have alot of deer where i am, just a few weeks ago there were four deer just down the street and around the corner standing in the middle of the road in broad daylight. Thats not normal is it?

A few weeks back comeing back from Niagra falls on a backroad saw a big stag.........& IT WAS BIG......So big i laughed at my aunt cuz she said...WOW did you see that big thing on its head.....I allmost wet my knickers from laughing so hard.....lol :canadian:

I took both my courses when I was twelve, and got 95 on the exam and passed the hunters ed. I believe it was 2 days each... I know the PAL course was, as it was ne day of learning, a review and exam the next day. Ohh and back to topic... just got back from checking out a field... saw a nice young buck we plan on harvesting (I can't shoot but he can as he is a resident) Might try to take a video and will try to get some pics if all works out

I don't know to much about hunting but have thought about takin a course. Not sure i could shoot a deer though. Yeah i know sound like a right wuss....lol..

Last month we had three does behind my property . We have alot of deer where i am, just a few weeks ago there were four deer just down the street and around the corner standing in the middle of the road in broad daylight. Thats not normal is it?

A few weeks back comeing back from Niagra falls on a backroad saw a big stag.........& IT WAS BIG......So big i laughed at my aunt cuz she said...WOW did you see that big thing on its head.....I allmost wet my knickers from laughing so hard.....lol :canadian:

You will know during your first hunt if you are able to shoot a deer... I shot my first last year, an 11 point buck... after letting many jump over me in awe and a little fear... Putting food on the table and accomplishing something I had been striving for made all my studying and hard work to obtain my licence well worth it.

Go for it, you will find in it the same passion you find for fishing.

why only one gun with 2 people? technically its legal for a hunter to take all the guns you own hunting with you. i often take my 17hmr and 12 gauge at the same time so im prepared for long and short shots. you could take your whole family hunting with you if you really wanted to as long as you are the only one shootin...

i went out in the rain this evening to have a look around and ended up seeing a big doe and found a bunch of trails.

You took the words right outta my mouth good call !!!

figure this one out...

A friend of mine gives the course and every year he has a lot of guys that have been around guns there whole life, and challenge the course, and they all fail. The hunters safety course is far from being a waste of time, do yourself a favour and dont challeng the course, and I'll bet you'll learn something you didnt know. Most guys that give the course want you to pass, and they'll even help you through the testing, when you challenge it your on your own no help, nothing.

QUOTE(danbo @ Oct 2 2008, 07:22 PM) *

Nope, but you better have only one weapon with the two of you.

Yup but...

If his buddy is not licenced he could be in trouble, as it would "appear"

he's hunting with out a licence. I'd actually reccomened against tagging along at all out in the bush,

According to the Instructor I had for the hunter safety course, an unarmed unlicenced person tagging along in a deer hunt can be in contravention of the law as they can still be involved in a Drive.

For exsample I could put my self in a stand and have my unlicensed buddys run the dogs, or even just hoof it through the area running the deer right to me....if a C.O. thinks your involved in any way shape or form you could find yourself in big doo doo.

I wouldn't chance it if I were you.