Guelph Lake

zman

Hi Everyone

I have a little pike and bass competion this weekend with a bunch of people from my work and it will be held at the Guelph Lake but I have never really fished it this time of year. Just woundering if anyone has any tips or advice.

I guess the bass and the pike would be a little deeper this time a year?

I've never fished that lake, but anywhere I'm fishing for pike at this time of year, I would be throwing a Mepps #5. Mind you, that's what I throw ALL year :P You can work it shallow or deep, and find the fish pretty quick...good luck!

Spinnerbaits all the way for pike. White/chartruse with silver blades on clear days. Black/brown and orange with copper on overcast days. Trailer hook is a good idea.

I like to run it steady about a foot under the surface with periodic pauses to get that flutter. Try to tear it through some good weed growth as well.

Same method applies withy spoons, try a williams wobbler or a Thompson, red/white or my fave, the good ol' five of diamonds.

Never fished guelph, but a pike's a pike's a pike. Goodluck!

Hello, Guelph lake is my home lake and I have fished it for a few years now. This time of year, the water will be fairly low. The pike will be deep and spinner baits (perch imitation or white) are good. With the water being low, you will be able to easily see a lot of the logs and brush piles. I guarantee that if you focus on these with a tube bait (green or brown) that you will nail some really nice largemouth and smallmouth. Use as little weight as possible on the tube (I use just a tube hook and small piece of splitshot at the top) so that the bait falls slowly. You will either see your line move as they hit it, or when you pick up the slack there will be dead weight. Use heavier line as they bury themselves in the wood.

You will probably be launching from the Conservation boat launch. I am not as familiar with that area, but if you head south from the boat launch, then east down the lake, you will see a very large channel that runs north. You can't miss the channel because on the right point there is a sailing club. Focus fishing on the left side of the channel and you will see the logs and brush that I am talking about.

Good luck!

I caught this 36"er at Guelph a few years back on a 1/4oz football jig and double tail grub in pumpkinseed while trolling. It was caught right out in front of the swimming area near the island with the stage on it.

3877pike.jpg

The best part was listening to the eastern european guys fishing along the shore when I released it. You would have thought I was throwing money overboard. I have had success with 1/8oz jig & grub combos in white for both bass and pike as well. Good luck, looking forward to the report and pics.

Well this wasn't on Guelph lake but two weeks about my brother was throwing a red/white original chatterbait and he was catching about a fish every ten minutes and they were all bass and pike. That included a 4.5lb largemouth, a 3.5lb smallmouth and a pike about 30" or so. Good luck in your competition.