Rod Action what to buy, What to Use....

Wild

OK I am making my list and checking it twice cause you know what is gonna hit us in a few short months!

What's your favorite action rods from ultralight to musky what about actions fast, extra fast, rod length, graphite composition preference, and whatever else one should consider!

I am going to town with the purchase of new rods spinning, casting, downriger and musky for 2009 so let's talk rods!

Rods!

Now im excited!

I like a fast action, crisp rod. Sloppy ones drive me insane.

For bass spinning I like a 7 ft med/heavy with a very fast action, walleye I like a 6'6" also fairly fast action and medium power.

The best graphite that I can afford at the time. I have no idea about rigger rods so I am of no use there...

Baitcasters I like the same as my spinners, 6'6" to 7'6", always fast action and heavier power than average.

For float rods I could go on forever as I am starting to amass quite the collection, with my recent custom being my favourite. 11'6" med-light power with a fast tip for a float rod. No sloppy tip sag and it doesnt feel like it as a sunfish dangling from the end as im floating my drift.

Actually for a great price I had a BPS IM8 graphite 6'6" spinning rod that I found to be an excellent all around rod.

Loved it to death, until I snapped it off 8 inches from the tip.

long story short, dont drink and fish.

But it is an option for someone who is looking for a decent rod at a lower price

Answer to one of the most general open ended (therefore pointless) question I have read:

Just buy every length, both 2 piece and one piece in Extra fast you can find and you will get what you want for every species and every fishing method you use. YOu may want to stick with Fenwick, Shimano, G-Loomis, Browning and Bass Pro branded items to keep it simple.

Make sure you hire a caddy.

Edited by forrest

OK I am making my list and checking it twice cause you know what is gonna hit us in a few short months!

What is going to hit us? Hyper inflation?

If you are referring to a recession....shouldn't you be holding onto your money or are you planning on saving us all by spending?

forrest

Friends don't let friends drink and post

What is going to hit us? Hyper inflation?

If you are referring to a recession....shouldn't you be holding onto your money or are you planning on saving us all by spending?

forrest

Friends don't let friends drink and post

Why is Christmas canceled this season?

Personally I have never spent more than 100 bucks on a rod, just never felt it was necessary and never had problems with rods breaking.

I have a mix, I pick them by feel not by brand, most are mid range price 40 to 60 bucks, Diawa, Shimano, Abu Garcia, Berkley. Most are fast action, but some medium fast, a couple slower action rods.

Just depends on what your comfortable with.

arg...I knew I should have mentioned xmas!

Throw us a bone here...what type of fishing and what species?

forrest

We are looking at the full spectrum of fish from Crappie to Muskie spinning and casting setups I know that the Muskie rods will be Crucials matched with Calcutta TE 401 reels. I am on the fence whether the spinning and bass casting rods will be Crucials as well :whistling:

Spinners, jigs, plugs, topwater etc looks like the plan is to be flexible.

muskie rods generally all come in fast or xtra fast taper. a few in fast-med (ie. crankbait rods). st. croix's premiere line is where i choose to spend my $$$. rod length is more a guide for the types of baits you'll be tossing. ie. short(er) rods for jerkbaits, longer for inline blades/topwaters.

For Trout, lite and ultra lite 6.5 foot Cabelas IM7s, labeled fast but they are willowy. I got a good deal with the Cabela's rod and Shimano reel packages.

For Bass 6.5 and 7 foot Med, fast for grubs and Mepps, slower tips for crank baits and worms. The 7 footers do not seem as sensitive as the shorter rods. All my bait casters are 6.5 feet and are right hand crank. All my spinning rods are left hand crank. I have no idea why I set up that way, but after 53 years, that is just the way it is.

For Pike, 6.5 and 7 Foot Med Hvys, fast action, I hate when big baits put a big bow in the rod.

The line is much more important than the rod, I use mono for the cranks and worms and the high tech lines for the rest of the stuff. Trout are all mono.

I buy the lightest rods I can afford, All Star Graphite and St Croix sometimes are available at the fishing shows.

Cabela's and BassPro frequently have sales, I have two Pfluegers that I got a BassPro for a song.

I don't know anything about trolling or fly fishing, none of the lakes I fish present the opportunity to do that.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the board qmccharlie, I prefer the smaller ultralights for streams, longer rods are great and maintain sensitivity if they are one piece and I have to agree that the lighter the better so that's why I an searching out the best high modulus rods.

We are looking at the full spectrum of fish from Crappie to Muskie spinning and casting setups I know that the Muskie rods will be Crucials matched with Calcutta TE 401 reels. I am on the fence whether the spinning and bass casting rods will be Crucials as well :whistling:

Spinners, jigs, plugs, topwater etc looks like the plan is to be flexible.

If you can manage 1 piece rods, give the Kistler's a try.

Or even better, start looking at components and come up with a cutom built setup.

Edited by j ace

That's like asking "What spices should I buy?" What do you want to cook? Narrow it down a bit and it gets more interesting: "What walleye rod?" Well, what do you want to throw with it? The rod that fishes 1/4 oz bucktails and jigworms beautifully will be crummy for chunking 1/4 oz big lipped crankbaits all day. Musky? I fish musky all the time with a MH spinning rod, but I am throwing 1/2 oz spinnerbaits with it, not 9" broomstick handles.

Trout? One of my favourites is an older St Croix 6wt flyrod mounted with a spinning reel. I am throwing 1/16 oz jigs on very light line, in very vast water, precision-fishing eddy lines where time in the strike zone might be 1/2 a second. I don't take that rod/reel set-up hardly anywhere but my local trout stream, but it is ideal amongst all the different set-ups I have tried.

Figure out what you want to throw, then match the rod to that. If you want a stick that is a true delight, get it custom built. You can get a good custom for less than some high-end off-the-rack sticks and it will be exactly what you design.

I am contemplating some custom rods thanks for the idea. So far I have picked up a bunch of Compre's from 5 ft UL to 7 ft M and hopefully the Musky rods will be in stock soon. Have an eye on some nice Crucial BC and today found some St Croix rods at a decent price. So... it looks like I am really getting a nice colection.