Heading to Toronto For a Week

DionJL

Hey all!

I'm an avid fisherman from Vancouver. I'll be heading to Toronto for a week (Oct 19-24) with my department (Materials Engineering) from UBC. Throughout the week we are heading to Mills and Processing Plants that are pertinent to our discipline. While we're out there we'll have free time in the evenings.

I'm wondering what sort of fishing I would be able to get myself into while I have free time. I'll have no vehicle and can't rent one because I'm only 19. I'm considering going on a guided trip. I'd like to target fish that we don't have out here in BC.

Any recommendations on what options I have, guide companies, rods to bring, etc.?

Thanks for your help,

Dion L.

There was or is an outfit in Toronto that does the islands for Pike and Bass not sure of the name though give me a bit and I will find out Mako or Mepps might be able to help with this . Now is a good time for big Pike and Bass around the islands

I might even be able to get you out 1 day anyway we shall see

Well to make it easy for you ... All The fish we have in TO you pretty much have in Vancouver . But in BC they are a lot bigger , cleaner , and of abundance ... ... I don't see you having any memorable experiences fishing in TO when your used to Vancouver. Sorry to say

Save your money and get a guide in Vancouver when you get home or if you really want a memorable experience, take a cab up to Wiskey A GOGO's and drop $100 there .... The'll take good care of you !!!

Edited by JDMLS

The fishing in Ontario is about as good as anywhere else in Canada.....people just think it's bad cuz they have to stand beside someone while they are fishing.......the fishing in the GTA (greater toronto area) is excellent....i jus would not suggest eating the fish you catch.....and JDMLS we have a larger variety of fish here in Ontario than what they have in BC.....also would not suggest hiring a guide in the Toronto area....if you go down to any river there will be lots of salmon and trout kicking around.....the bass and pike just get on the ferry and go fish from shore around the islands....good luck!! Don't worry there is TONS of fish in the GTA...

Hawk

The fishing in Ontario is about as good as anywhere else in Canada.....people just think it's bad cuz they have to stand beside someone while they are fishing.......the fishing in the GTA (greater toronto area) is excellent....i jus would not suggest eating the fish you catch.....and JDMLS we have a larger variety of fish here in Ontario than what they have in BC.....also would not suggest hiring a guide in the Toronto area....if you go down to any river there will be lots of salmon and trout kicking around.....the bass and pike just get on the ferry and go fish from shore around the islands....good luck!! Don't worry there is TONS of fish in the GTA...

Hawk

Sorry , I can't leave this one alone ..... Are you reading his post or not ?? He's from Vancouver , where some of the biggest and most abundant SEA RUN, I repeat " SEA RUN" fish in the world come in to the river systems, and your telling him to go down to our Lake O creeks in Toronto to fish for boots and poluted,lamprey bit steelhead :wallbash: ..... You refered to our river systems as having "lots of salmon and steelhead " , DUDE hes from BC, did you miss that ?!?!? We get piss poor runs compared to what's in BC, so i would hardly refer to them as " lots" .... Then you tell him to get on the Ferry and fish the Island. You recomended fishing the Island to an avid fisherman from Vancouver :clapping: ....Are you feeling ok ? ... The guy would have a better time looking at BOX at the Eaton Centre then fishing the Island..Like I said stick to Wiskey A GOGO's , and since your 19 , get down to King St and get some drinks on Thurs , Fri , or Saturday if you want to get into fresh snapper, to make it an EPIC trip !!!

P.S. nice rockbass

Edited by JDMLS

Actually I was hoping to avoid your "salmon" and "steelhead" and target fish that are less abundant over here. ie: Bass, Pike, Carp etc.

I have fished quite a bit for bass, both large and small mouth. Pike and Carp on the other hand are not easy to find this side of the Rockies.

I'd prefer to use a Fly Rod but I'm no fly-fishing elitist by any means. I'll chuck gear, bait, etc. What ever it takes to catch fish.

I'm not exactly sure where we are staying, but apparently it is a bit of a dive hotel.

And I wouldn't hire a guide in BC as I've worked in Tackle Shops and worked as a Guide here. I know the value of a good guide, and good information, so thanks for all your help so far.

PS: This is what a steelhead should look like, and to be considered a steelhead it has to go to the ocean, not a lake. ;)

P1130398.jpg

and salmon as well.

2_Nov242007.jpg

Nice! love the cutthroat and the sturgeon.

If you use the search function for Toronto or Toronto Island you will pull up a lot of posts for pike and bass here are a few

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...=toronto+island

HAHAHAHAHAHA there ya go JDMLS the guy posted saying he WANTS to try fishing in the GTA......should i say that again......he WANTS to go fishing in the GTA so did you read his post????? and by the way there is "LOTS" of fish and i don't know about you but not all the fish i've caught in the GTA have had lamprey marks......and I don't know how we get piss poor runs here but I'm pretty sure the bows are there from now until almost June.......and sorry im not a big tough guy like you and have a pic of a rock bass....i thought it was a pretty funny picture myself next time i'll make sure it's strictly steel oh and no net and no marshmellows will be anywhere NEAR that picture....sorry bud you showed me!!!

GOOD LUCK DIONJL!!!!! i would love to meet up with you but not sure if i can get out anytime soon.....and don't worry man theres lots of fish around.....but then again JDMLS says don't waste ur time jus go get drunk!

Hawk

Sorry , I can't leave this one alone ..... Are you reading his post or not ?? He's from Vancouver , where some of the biggest and most abundant SEA RUN, I repeat " SEA RUN" fish in the world come in to the river systems, and your telling him to go down to our Lake O creeks in Toronto to fish for boots and poluted,lamprey bit steelhead :wallbash: ..... You refered to our river systems as having "lots of salmon and steelhead " , DUDE hes from BC, did you miss that ?!?!? We get piss poor runs compared to what's in BC, so i would hardly refer to them as " lots" .... Then you tell him to get on the Ferry and fish the Island. You recomended fishing the Island to an avid fisherman from Vancouver :clapping: ....Are you feeling ok ? ... The guy would have a better time looking at BOX at the Eaton Centre then fishing the Island..Like I said stick to Wiskey A GOGO's , and since your 19 , get down to King St and get some drinks on Thurs , Fri , or Saturday if you want to get into fresh snapper, to make it an EPIC trip !!!

P.S. nice rockbass

Dude, what's wrong with fishing the islands? I always have a blast out there and the pike and bass fishing is great. Dion, PM me when you get to Toronto. Perhaps myself and one or two other local yokels will take you out and get you into some fish. I can also help you get into the sauce as well!

As someone mentioned use the search function.

If you have no wheels and are looking for pike in T.O, the quoted post below would be your best bet on all fronts.

Dude, what's wrong with fishing the islands? I always have a blast out there and the pike and bass fishing is great. Dion, PM me when you get to Toronto. Perhaps myself and one or two other local yokels will take you out and get you into some fish. I can also help you get into the sauce as well!

Good luck with your endeavour.

Good luck with your trip, I'm sure some of the guys will get you into a few spots where you can get pike.

As far as brook trout goes the season closed 2 days ago, so unfortunately you're a little too late.

Edited by timmeh