Rod Tip advice

fishnpro

Hey guys, I was fishing a couple weeks ago and hit my rod tip off the boat and the ceramic ring on the top guide popped out. I tried to pop it back in place with some super glue but it only held for a couple days and with out it there it frays the line. Is there any other way of getting it back in there or should I try and get it replaced. Does anyone know where I can get it replaced??

-Thanks, Fishnpro

Best to get the guide replaced by a local rod builder IMO. Most guides range anywhere from $2 (For Fuji Hardloys or PacBay Hi-alloys) to $10 for SIC's (approximate pricing). Labour is usually $8-10 depending on who you go to. Sure beats waiting 6wks to get your rod back from the company if you decide to send it in for warranty.

I've never heard of any person having positive experiences trying to glue the ring back into place. It usually falls out in no time.

Some places around southern Ontario who do rod repairs

- Angling Specialties (Scarborough & Concord locations)

- Wilson's fly shop (Downtown Toronto - Ask Billy)

- Natural Sports (Kitchener)

- John Collina (JC tackle - Caledonia I believe)

There's a few rod builders on this forum who might be able to do it for you. Spiel comes to mind.

Hope this helps

Most tackle stores will sell replacements and put it on for you for about $5-$10 on the spot.

If you buy it yourself:

-take the old one off, you may have to heat it up with a lighter.

-bring the rod into the store so you get the right fit for the rod end...the eye size is not so important.

-clean the end

-use a glue from a heated glue gun and a lighter to hold the tip on.

voila!

Edited by forrest

My mistake...I misread your post. I thought you cracked a guide on the tip section. Tip tops are easy to replace. Like the others mentioned, it should take a couple minutes to repair and most tackle shops can do it for you.