Are they any Salmon around fisherman's pier In Hamiton/Burlington?

ShaneD

Hello,

I was wondering if it was worth going salmon fishing at fisherman's pier by the Skyway this late in the season. I am new to the area fishing and do not have a boat so its pretty much shore fishing for me. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Shane

Welcome to the board, Shane. Get out and give 'er. Along with Salmon, you may be getting into some Bows soon, and then around November there's the Browns. This is the time to be out on the Piers. Don't forget Bronte Pier either. It's close. Fire out them Cleos!

Thanks so much, I was worried about looking like a complete fool out there after work today. I have to stop and get a net as I went out there on the weekend and realized that if anything grabbed on I had no chance of getting it on the pier.

What exactly is a Bow?

I do have 3 cleo's, the helpful guy at Burns fishing recommended them to me so I got one in each color that glow.

Thanks Again!

Thanks so much, I was worried about looking like a complete fool out there after work today. I have to stop and get a net as I went out there on the weekend and realized that if anything grabbed on I had no chance of getting it on the pier.

What exactly is a Bow?

I do have 3 cleo's, the helpful guy at Burns fishing recommended them to me so I got one in each color that glow.

Thanks Again!

Good thinking on the net....get one with an extendible handle and a big basket for those salmon!! A Bow is a rainbow trout/steelhead. Flash those cleos with a camera or any light and cast them out there. Good luck.

Good thinking on the net....get one with an extendible handle and a big basket for those salmon!! A Bow is a rainbow trout/steelhead. Flash those cleos with a camera or any light and cast them out there. Good luck.

I never have heard that, out on the west cost they call them steelhead, now I know.

The guy at the fishing store recommended that charging the cleos as well. I got one of those dollar store lanterns to hang the lures off the handle to charge them up and then I will alternate charging and casting.

How do recommend fishing them? Do I cast them out and let them sink then bring them in slowly or with sharp jerks? Any tips?

Thanks for answering my questions.

Shane

Just cast them as far as you can and let them sink to different depths and then just retrieve them.

If you choose to go Salmon fishing make sure that you have a nice big spool full of line, those buggers dont like getting hooked and like to run a lot when you do hook them.

Good luck out there! and Welcome aboard

I went out last nigh from about 6 to 8pm. I was surprised that there were that many people out there. Saw about 10 or so good sized fish jump about 50 yards out. I did not get any bites but seeing them there is enough to keep me coming back. There were still people coming down and setting up when I was leaving at 8pm. Do people fish all night down there?

Most people were sticking closer to the shore then the end of the pier is this the preferred spot or people just do not like climbing over that big rail?

I stopped on the way home from work and got a serious net and 150 yards of 20lb fireline on my reel so i should be safe if one of those beasts grabs on.

Hey Mattones are you going down this weekend? I plan on putting some hours in.

Shane

Most people were sticking closer to the shore then the end of the pier is this the preferred spot or people just do not like climbing over that big rail?

I would say so, I don't like to get over that wall and I imagine many others feel the same.

Also be careful from that wall to the shoreline. There is an old wooden pier sunk along there and if you snag it say good bye to another cleo. Crap there has to be a thousand of them hooked it it. When the water clarity is good in the daytime you can see it down there.

Best of luck :thumbsup_anim: . You could also try the wall along Spencer Smith Park, although the days of free parking are now long gone.

Hey Mattones are you going down this weekend? I plan on putting some hours in.

I may head down there or down in my area along the creek, Took a walk down by the creek this past weekend as i have seen many cars parked there daily. Saw about 4 fairly huge Salmon on the shore, And with this good rain the water should be higher. So its iffy.

Also be careful from that wall to the shoreline. There is an old wooden pier sunk along there and if you snag it say good bye to another cleo. Crap there has to be a thousand of them hooked it it. When the water clarity is good in the daytime you can see it down there.

yah you have to watch that i have lost about 5 lures on that sucker. I'm tempted to take my snorkel gear and head in there and grab them all.