Great Guitar Song/Chord/Tab/Lyrics link (nf)

danbo

Fan of chordie myself and I can only strum and do campfire stuff

Love surfing through the public book section on chordie and they have a great chord transpose feature to change the key up or down

Chord position doesn't match spacing on here but....

Am G F G-Am

There must be some kind of way out of here

Am G F G-Am

Said the joker to the thief

Am G F G-Am

There's too much confusion

Am G F G-Am

I can't get no relief

Edited by Fang

Ok, this is the first time I have EVER seen anything like these things... seriously, do people really use this stuff to figure out tunes?????

I guess I'm kinda old school, but I learn stuff by ear. Yes, it take a ton of work, but like any tool, the more you use it, the easier it gets!

I'm with ya Cliff!

HH

"Show a man a lick and he will eventually learn to play it.... show a man how to listen and he will be able to play ANYTHING!!!!!"

... my new quote!!!!!

Ive been using ultimate-guitar for years!!!!!! works pretty well for newb. Im nothing great at guitar but i can definitely hold a tune.

@ CCMT :

Ive watched a few of your vids you post on ur band.. very good btw!. Im surpised and impressed that its all learned by ear!! good job man

Ok, this is the first time I have EVER seen anything like these things... seriously, do people really use this stuff to figure out tunes?????

I guess I'm kinda old school, but I learn stuff by ear. Yes, it take a ton of work, but like any tool, the more you use it, the easier it gets!

I'm with ya Cliff!

HH

"Show a man a lick and he will eventually learn to play it.... show a man how to listen and he will be able to play ANYTHING!!!!!"

... my new quote!!!!!

I can whistle most songs im familiar with from start to end, solos .....everything, however, i cannot necassarily play them on guitar. I got the listenin thing down........just cant always translate it into my fingers and on the fretboard. Im just a hobbyist though, a 20 year hobbyist mind you, but a hobbyist none the less...... i never took lessons learned scales etc etc. So tabliture is a quick and easy way to learn, for me anyway. Solos definitely are cumbersome to pick up with tabs though.

ultimate guitar tabs is a great one..I use that all the time, but basically just for the lyrics for songs I already know...some of the transpositions are wrong though..for example with what Fang put.. All Along The Watchtower the actual song is in the key of B,...so it goes something like this ... AA..BBBB..AA..GGGG for the intro, then the verse is something like..BBB...AA..GGG..AA and repeats that way.

As for goofing around with tab..I preffer to read the music, but when trying to figure stuff out with tab..you just gotta look at it like it is the guitar neck and strings from looking down at it while you are playing....so the top line is for example:

Low-E ..............0..............

A...............2............

D...............2.............

G................1...........

B.................0..........

E...................0.......... so for a silly simple example...that is an E major Chord..the 0's mean open..of there was an X, you would not play that string..there is generall on "good tab" also a symbol that would be telling you to play all those notes together and therefore make it a chord

the numbers are simply what fret to play on on that string, and there is a "key" for all the symbols on what they all mean for example.....when to pick stroke up or down, when to hold notes, when to bend them and so on....

I find with tab though it is hard to get a grip of at first unless you know the song becasue it's not written out in measures and such in alot of cases and harder to count

you have to remember on these sites though that it's the "author's" transpo of the song and often keys are changed or parts are wrong so there is no copy right infingement going on

so for another example a simple G major scale would be written out somehting like this:

E..3....5..............................

A...........2....3....5...........................

D..........................2....4....5.................

G...........................................3......5....

B.........................................................2....3......5.......

E............................................................................2.....3..

Edited by jwl

There are so many great resources on the web for learning music. If you fancy the blazing metallic shred, there's : http://www.chopsfromhell.com. If you favour the blazing acoustic shred of bluegrass, head here : http://www.alltabs.com.

Keep on pickin' boys! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

Here's my suggestion to those trying to learn stuff and can't get yer fingers to work the way you want...

buy a metronome, slow the thing down to 4-5 times SLOWER than the actual song and play it at that speed, until you can play it perfectly 20 time in a row. Then, speed up the metronome one knotch and repeat. Continue to this until you have reached the actual speed of the song and move on t the next one.

Scales should be learned and played this way... essentially what we are talking about here is muscle memory and discipline, both of which take time, effort and patience.

HH

My favourite tab page was http://guitartabs.cc/

I learned how to play on guitartabs and always found it had a great directory and easy to use search function. It also came complete with a massive forum full of experts and so called experts who were all willing to lend some advice to a huge guitar noob.

Unfortunatly "The Man" decided that sharing lyrics and tabs was illigal due to copyright infringement and guitar tabs was forced to shut down or risk being sued.

I just checked in and apparently it is back up and running again though not at 100%.

Any way check out gutartabs.cc. plug!

Oh my! Thanks for that Bunk!!! I can now see me getting home from work tonight, and putting my guitar away and taking up sewing!!!!!

I have a real love/hate relationship with guys like that... I love the way they play and Hate the way I do!!!!

Thanks again!

HH